No announcement yet.

L1 change of employer to a subsidiary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 change of employer to a subsidiary?

I was recently laid off from the US company I worked for. I'm currently on severance, with 4 weeks left. I'm on an L1 visa (and have my wife here, on an L2). The company I work for is a subsidiary of a large holding company (also US-based).

I'm hoping that I can change employer to another subsidiary within the same holding company - without going through the visa process again.

I believe that my current visa is officially with the holding company (as opposed to the specific subsidiary).

so, assuming that my current visa is indeed with the holding company ...
    a) can I change employer to another subsidiary within the same holding company, without new visa applications?
    b) would it involve significant involve paperwork / costs for the new employer?
    c) is there a significance in the fact that I've been laid off (though am on severance), or is the visa considerations the same as if I was still employed?

seperately,
    d) if my visa turns out to actually be with the subsidiary itself (not with the holding company), would I still be able to use that same visa for another subsidiary within the same holding company?

Thanks very much in advance.

As per my knowledge, this is the major difference between H1 and L1. On h1, you can transfer h1 to some another company, but L1 to L1 transfer is not possible. And for L1 to H1, the employer needs to file the H1.

But still check with some good attorney if any alternate.

[Note:- I am sharing my views, contact your attorney for the best advice]

Comment

H1 vs L1

thanks for your quick reply. To clarify;

Originally posted by milda View Post
      As per my knowledge, this is the major difference between H1 and L1. On h1, you can transfer h1 to some another company, but L1 to L1 transfer is not possible. And for L1 to H1, the employer needs to file the H1.
      agreed that this would normally be the case. I guess what I'm looking to figure out is if this is different if the employer change is within the same holding company, i.e. between subsidiaries ...

Thanks again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X