Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD extension on L2 visa which is expiring soon after

Hi everyone!
    I really hope someone can help put my mind at rest.
    I am on an L2 visa and the current period expires December 2021. My EAD expires July 2021. I will start my renewal process 6 months prior, but by the time it arrives with me (which I really hope is before expiry but that’s another story), it will only be valid until December 2021 along with my L2 is that correct?

This means that before I have even received the EAD I will want to apply to renew it again, I’m assuming it isn’t possible to have two renewals going at the one time? And can you apply for EAD before having started the L2 renewal process? Or how early can you start the L2 process? If we can apply for EAD 6 months before expiry do we just start with that and then apply for L2 when we’re able?

Lastly, in April next year, 2020, my spouse’s company are starting our green card process. From what I’ve heard, the L1A>GC is one of the quickest turnarounds, we are from the UK. Is there any likelihood that our GCs will arrive before even my first renewal (July 2021) and end my EAD headache? Or is that extremely wishful thinking? We’re trying to request that they start it now, would that even make a difference?

thanks so much for any replies

Originally posted by Eohare551 View Post
    I am on an L2 visa and the current period expires December 2021. My EAD expires July 2021. I will start my renewal process 6 months prior, but by the time it arrives with me (which I really hope is before expiry but that’s another story), it will only be valid until December 2021 along with my L2 is that correct?
    That's correct.
    This means that before I have even received the EAD I will want to apply to renew it again, I’m assuming it isn’t possible to have two renewals going at the one time?
    That's correct.
    And can you apply for EAD before having started the L2 renewal process? Or how early can you start the L2 process? If we can apply for EAD 6 months before expiry do we just start with that and then apply for L2 when we’re able?
    No, you need proof of valid L1 to apply for L2 EAD (for quick L2 renewal you just need to visit outside USA & re-enter)​​​​​​​.
    Or else you apply for L1 extension, L2 extension & EAD all together in one shot.
    Lastly, in April next year, 2020, my spouse’s company are starting our green card process. From what I’ve heard, the L1A>GC is one of the quickest turnarounds, we are from the UK. Is there any likelihood that our GCs will arrive before even my first renewal (July 2021) and end my EAD headache? Or is that extremely wishful thinking? We’re trying to request that they start it now, would that even make a difference?
    Tentative turnaround time for GC under EB1C for UK citizen is ~6 months, so the sooner you start, the earlier you get that in your hand & won't need to worry about renewal at all.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      That's correct.

That's correct.

No, you need proof of valid L1 to apply for L2 EAD (for quick L2 renewal you just need to visit outside USA & re-enter).
      Or else you apply for L1 extension, L2 extension & EAD all together in one shot.

Tentative turnaround time for GC under EB1C for UK citizen is ~6 months, so the sooner you start, the earlier you get that in your hand & won't need to worry about renewal at all.
      Thank you so much Libra_14. You've mentioned how to get a quick L2 renewal, how early before the expiry date of December 2021 can we do this? Also do you happen to know, if the GC hasn't arrived by the time my EAD needs to be renewed, can I apply for my new EAD under the adjustment of status category and then be eligible for that automatic 180 day temporary extension of EAD? (Which L2 EAD holders are currently not eligible for). This could mean that if I just wait until my EAD is due to expire, I could apply for the extension, get the 180 day extension, wait for the GC to arrive and then never have any gaps in employment? What do you think?
      ​​​​​​​Thanks again for your help

Comment

You've mentioned how to get a quick L2 renewal, how early before the expiry date of December 2021 can we do this?
        You can do that as soon as you get your L1 extension approved.
        Also do you happen to know, if the GC hasn't arrived by the time my EAD needs to be renewed, can I apply for my new EAD under the adjustment of status category and then be eligible for that automatic 180 day temporary extension of EAD? (Which L2 EAD holders are currently not eligible for) This could mean that if I just wait until my EAD is due to expire, I could apply for the extension, get the 180 day extension, wait for the GC to arrive and then never have any gaps in employment? What do you think?
        I am not 100% sure, but think you can do that. Probably someone more experienced with this can chime-in.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X