What documents needed for L2 to F1 COS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What documents needed for L2 to F1 COS

Hey so I’ve reached a point on my current L2 visa where I’m looking to applying for a COS to F1. I’ve already enrolled and been accepted to a college and paid for the classes. I’ve also paid to I-90 SEVIS FEE. So in terms of documents listed I’ve got the i-20 and I-94 and proof of financial support and apart from this I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to attach? I heard of statement or Any supporting documents from my L1A applicant. Thanks again for the help on the process.

To convert L2 to F1 you will need to file a Change of Status (COS) application. This will enable you to remain in the US while awaiting the adjudication of your F1 visa. As advised, you will need to speak with UNC's Designated School Official (typically someone in the international student and scholar services office). You may wish to consider the pros and cons of L2 vs F1 status. Switching to F1 will mean that you will be losing the ability to work in the US, unless you get CPT. The pros of maintaining L2 status are the ability to work (internships, full-time, part-time, etc. without having to go through UNC's DSO); on the other hand, L2 ties you to your spouse -- meaning if your spouse loses L1 status, you will also lose your ability to study/work. It is a complex question; best is to consult with an immigration attorney.
    I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met

Comment

Thanks for the response, so I’m a L2 dependant child, which means I cannot work and I don’t wish to as I want to fully focus on my studies. I‘m looking to continue my studies here as California has some of the best film schools. I was just wondering what documents were needed apart from the ones listed on the USCIS website. In terms of writing a letter or filing a additional for i134 for someone who is sponsoring you, as my education will be sponsored by my parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Tml1 View Post
        Thanks for the response, so I’m a L2 dependant child, which means I cannot work and I don’t wish to as I want to fully focus on my studies. I‘m looking to continue my studies here as California has some of the best film schools. I was just wondering what documents were needed apart from the ones listed on the USCIS website. In terms of writing a letter or filing a additional for i134 for someone who is sponsoring you, as my education will be sponsored by my parents.
        Hi. Did you get a consultation with an immigration attorney?

Comment

Originally posted by MarieKoffs View Post

Hi. Did you get a consultation with an immigration attorney?
          I'm not sure you'll get an answer after all this time. I hope for OP everything is going well in college, and he is not facing any document issues. Speaking of which, a friend had trouble filling out a particular form and had to go to various offices instead of focusing on her studies. Fortunately, she found this source https://edubirdie.com/college-papers-for-sale​ which came to her rescue with assignment deadlines. A consultation with an immigration lawyer is a must to make sure you have all the necessary paperwork in order.
          Last edited by Emelin82; 06-01-2023, 03:23 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X