Emergency travel with less than a month remaining on my I-94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency travel with less than a month remaining on my I-94

I-94 on my L1B visa expires in early April and L1B visa itself expires mid April. I need to travel to India urgently for 2-3 weeks.

Questions –

1. Will I be allowed to enter the US with less than a month remaining on my L1 visa?
    2. Should I have my extension required filed before leaving the US OR should I have it filed after I return (assuming I am allowed to re-enter)?
    3. Should I request for normal or premium processing in both the scenarios a. filing before leaving the US b. filing after returning to the US?

Any pointers will be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by gautamr1 View Post
    1. Will I be allowed to enter the US with less than a month remaining on my L1 visa?
    Yes, you are allowed till the last day of your visa validity - but you need to have a valid petition at the date of your entry.
    2. Should I have my extension required filed before leaving the US OR should I have it filed after I return (assuming I am allowed to re-enter)?
    Once you leave USA, your I94 will be gone. You can file your petition extension before you leave.
    But once you return you will be issued a new I94 - which will match your petition expiry at that time. And you might need to file for extension again.
    3. Should I request for normal or premium processing in both the scenarios a. filing before leaving the US b. filing after returning to the US?[/FONT]
    To be on safer side, I would suggest to get your petition renewed before you leave under premium & get a new visa stamped in India & return.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X