Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visa is valid, does L2 extension need biometrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa is valid, does L2 extension need biometrics?

Visa is valid, does L2 extension need biometrics?
    The customer service executive who took our call for EAD expedition said its not needed as our visa is still valid.

When do we get the appointment dates? How long does it take after boimetrics?

Not sure what you mean, so I'll describe two most likely scenarios:

Scenario 1: you and your spouse both have valid L1+L2 visas expiring more than 6 months in the future, and are applying for L2 EAD only (initial or extension, doesn't really matter) = no biometrics required for I-765. No other appointment either, the EAD card will come in the mail once approved. Current processing times are around 5 months.

Scenario 2. you are applying for EAD *and* L1+L2 extension. In this case, L1 extension is filed under I-129 and does not need biometircs / interview. L2 extension is filed under I-539 and requires biometrics. L2 EAD extension does not require biometrics but I-539 needs to be approved first. I-539 processing times currently start at 9 months. Biometrics timeline depends on your ASC and is somewhere between a month and 15 months (the 15 month figure comes from reddit and is not overly reliable, but I have read posts of people waiting for ~10+ months).

It is very hard (and therefore unlikely) to expedite L2 EAD. The premise is that L1 holders have to be able to financially support their dependents. The only case I've seen L2 EAD renewal expedite getting approved is when the employer claimed financial loss.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I'm an L2 non-immigrant. My most recent I-539 and I-765 were submitted mid-Oct 2020, Texas SC and approved early August 2021.
    Make sure to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. USPS sent back my first EAD and it took 5 months to get it re-mailed in 2018-19.

Comment

thanks Gina.We have mix situation

Scenario 1: you and your spouse both have valid L1+L2 visas expiring more than 6 months in the future, and are applying for L2 EAD only (initial or extension, doesn't really matter) = no biometrics required for I-765. No other appointment either, the EAD card will come in the mail once approved. Current processing times are around 5 months.

Spouse visa is valid ( we got visa stamped for 5 years instead of 3...so it is still valid).L2 extension has been filed due to I94 expiry.

Comment

Originally posted by L1A_asp View Post
        thanks Gina.We have mix situation

Spouse visa is valid ( we got visa stamped for 5 years instead of 3...so it is still valid).L2 extension has been filed due to I94 expiry.
        EAD needs a valid I94 in hand.

You've 2 options, wait for L2 approval & renewed I94 to come in mail, or leave USA for a day & re-enter based on your approved L1 visa & extension to get a new I94 immediately & provide that updated I94 to USCIS for EAD renewal.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X