Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A VISA - Salary package

Hi Friends,

I am a project manager (11yrs experience working with an leading IT company in India. My employer is sponsoring my L1A VISA

to work out of SanJose, California, USA. He has promised me a salary package of $60K per annum to survive with my spouse and

two kids (one is 6 months old and second is 4 yrs doing his LKG in India).

Please let know whether $60K p.a is a decent pay package in SJ,CA,USA for my role and experience?

What would be a good and very good pay package for this role and location to survive and save as a family?

What are the typical expenses to meet out?

Please share these details.

Thanks,

Sunder.

Hi OP,

I am just replying/sharing my view as nobody has replied - people who are living currently at san Jose/near to that are the best ones to share their experience....

I stayed at Sunnyvale which is near to San Jose only....5 years back with an annual gross salary of $75K as married (no children that time)

As far as surviving is concerned which means to shell out the necessary expenditures -then 60 K is on the borderline.
    And if want to do saving also along with that - then i think it will be little bit tight for you - as you are family of four

So , I suggest you to negotiate with your company and also see how much others are getting from your company (same place)....

thanks and regards,
    Abhay

Comment

Negotiate with company

Hi Sunder,

As Abhay mentioned that 60K is borderline and with family of 4 it will be very tight to save.

If 60K is offered then you will get somewhere around +-4000K in hand after tax deduction and the remaining will be sufficient to survive with little savings.

Also keep in mind the health insurance and if your company covers 100% of all the visits for whole family then not to worry otherwise just a clinic visit then you might have to sheel out of your pocket and as well if you are planning some play home/school for your kids then couple of hundered $ more to expenditure.

As suggested please negotiate with you company keeping in mind what you want to save after your expenditure are met. No body here can predict the exact figure of expenditure and honestly it depends on an individual's life style too.

This is just our opinion, as Abhay mentioned it is best to check with people leaving near San Jose for better assessment.

Good Luck.

Comment

As Abhay mentioned that 60K is borderline and with family of 4 it will be very tight to save.

If 60K is offered then you will get somewhere around +-4000K in hand after tax deduction and the remaining will be sufficient to survive with little savings.

Also keep in mind the health insurance and if your company covers 100% of all the visits for whole family then not to worry otherwise just a clinic visit then you might have to sheel out of your pocket and as well if you are planning some play home/school for your kids then couple of hundered $ more to expenditure.

As suggested please negotiate with you company keeping in mind what you want to save after your expenditure are met. No body here can predict the exact figure of expenditure and honestly it depends on an individual's life style too.

This is just our opinion, as Abhay mentioned it is best to check with people leaving near San Jose for better assessment.

---- To see that your take home pay is x amount of dollars and deducting your contributions like 401k plan etc. check this website adn it will give you a lot of information
        www. paycheckcity.com. You can key in the state you are going to reside and the federal withholdings. It will then make calculations based on the information provided by you and give you the net take home pay.

---- As far as the living standards, rent and other matters are concerned check the websites of salary.com and salarywizard. com

---- All these and many more sites (google them using your choice words) adn you can come up eith upto the minute details of everything

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks all for your prompt response! Just curious to know what if I come alone and do not bring my family along - would $60K p.a help save something then?

Comment

In that case you might end-up saving more than 50% of your salary when shared the appartment with other room-mate, and as mentioned before it depends on how much you want to spend/save depending upon your lifestyle.

This is just my opinion dont take this as a final line.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X