Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do passport need an update after name change

Hi

My wife had a name change which is recorded in Gazette, she also had a religion change which is not updated in the passport.

Now i'm planning to appear for a L1B interview along with my wife who is going to appear for L2 sometime next month.

My Question is

1) My passport doesn't have any detail about my spouse will that create a problem for her L2 ?
    2) My spouse is having old name in PP will that create a problem ?
    3) When Marriage certificates are asked, it has a different name for my spouse than the one in Passport will it create a problem ?
    4) My spouse travelled B1 recently with the old name in passport, as B1 doesn't require any change will that create any issues for her L2 ?
    5) Is it mandatory for women, to go for a name change in Passport if they change their last name (from father to husband) ???

Any other information regarding this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks a ton in advance.

My wife had a name change which is recorded in Gazette, she also had a religion change which is not updated in the passport.

Now i'm planning to appear for a L1B interview along with my wife who is going to appear for L2 sometime next month.

My Question is

1) My passport doesn't have any detail about my spouse will that create a problem for her L2 ?

---- It does not create any problem for visa stamping. It is always better to have your spouse's name in your Passport and your name in your spouses's Passport. You can get that done when you get your Passposrts renewed next time

2) My spouse is having old name in PP will that create a problem ?

----- Yes, that will do and there should be no issues with it

3) When Marriage certificates are asked, it has a different name for my spouse than the one in Passport will it create a problem ?

---- Why is the name different in the marriage certificate. isn't her maiden name mentioned in the certificate and that will be the same as in Passport before marriage

4) My spouse travelled B1 recently with the old name in passport, as B1 doesn't require any change will that create any issues for her L2 ?

---- One visa category does not have any bearing on any new visa that she may be applying

5) Is it mandatory for women, to go for a name change in Passport if they change their last name (from father to husband) ???

---- It is not mandatory. It purely depends on your cultures, tradition and the way you want to go about it. In general yes, a female changes her last name to that of her husband's last anme. But many retain their last name (before marriage) and include their husband's last name . This gives them 2 last names when they either get a Passport or other official documents

Any other information regarding this would be greatly appreciated

---- Ensure that the names mentioned in Passport, marriage certificate and other official documents establishes the relationship between you both

Subramanya

Comment

So there is no mandatory rule that the Passport lastname needs to be updated after marriage..

Fine, what about religion do conversion needs an update in Indian passport by any chance. For e.g. Muslim to Hindu

Comment

Hi OP,

Do Indian Passports have this kind of Information??? I don;t think so

Thanks and Regards,
        Abhay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X