Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A extension - normal processing

Hi all,

I am waiting on my i-140 status and going by the current trend I believe I should know the status by Aug / Sep 2022.
    My L1A visa get's expired on Dec 2022 and I have 1 more year extension possible (6 years will get exhausted in Dec 2022).
    I will not sufficient time to proceed with i-485, EAD as my visa get's expired by Dec 2022.

I have 2 options now:
    1. Travel to India by 2nd week of Oct 2022 and book an appointment for interview
    2. Apply for extension from US (Normal processing)

If S.No: 1 is positive, I can stay in the US till the i-485, EAD process get's completed.
    I am planning to go with S.No: 2 with normal processing to avoid travel.

If I am going with normal processing how long does it take to get the visa renewed?
    Can I stay in the US beyond Dec-2022 saying that I have applied for visa renewal and waiting to get visa?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Originally posted by l1vis View Post
    I am waiting on my i-140 status and going by the current trend I believe I should know the status by Aug / Sep 2022.
    I-140 is not a status. Its independent process & can continue with or without L1A
    My L1A visa get's expired on Dec 2022 and I have 1 more year extension possible (6 years will get exhausted in Dec 2022).
    I will not sufficient time to proceed with i-485, EAD as my visa get's expired by Dec 2022.
    Confirm your category you applied your I-140 (assuming EB1C). India EB1C is current as of now & you do not (rather should not) need to wait for filing I485.
    I have 2 options now:
    1. Travel to India by 2nd week of Oct 2022 and book an appointment for interview
    2. Apply for extension from US (Normal processing)

If S.No: 1 is positive, I can stay in the US till the i-485, EAD process get's completed.
    I am planning to go with S.No: 2 with normal processing to avoid travel.
    I would suggest to apply for L1A extension within USA (if not need to travel outside USA).
    If I am going with normal processing how long does it take to get the visa renewed?
    Can I stay in the US beyond Dec-2022 saying that I have applied for visa renewal and waiting to get visa?
    You do not need to renew visa (it is only needed when you enter into USA, doesn't matter if it gets expired once you are inside USA). The extension you file is for your work authorization (petition). File for petition extension & it can be applied in premium processing to get response in 15 days.

Again with pending petition extension you can continue to stay & work in USA for upto 240 days of your existing petition expiry.

Also, if you file for I485 now, you can stay in USA indefinitely awaiting decision on I485. Usually you'll get EAD/AP within 6-10 months of applying for I485 (which would be sufficient to let you work & travel in USA).
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X