Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 extension approval after L1 extension is approved

Hi,
    My L1 extension was applied in February 2022, and it was converted to Premium processing in the first week of March and got the approval in 13 days. Now I am waiting for my wife's L2 approval. Processing center is Texas. USCIS timeline is from 7 to 9 months! and her i94 is valid till June only.
    - Any idea how much time it generally takes for L2 approval after the L1 is approved?
    - Will the expedite request help? as she might loose her job...

Thanks.

Originally posted by rgolekar View Post
    - Any idea how much time it generally takes for L2 approval after the L1 is approved?
    In general 6-7 months is a fair estimate to expect L2 approval.
    There is no expedite request for L2 extension. If she already has EAD & you filed EAD renewal as well along with L2 extension, then she can continue working (as per new rule).
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Libra_14 : Thanks for your response. Actually, as far as I know, to continue working after the EAD expiry a valid i94 is required. Which she will get only when the extension is approved. Current i94 is expiring in June... I think we will have wait for another 4-5 months!

Comment

Libra_14 : Thanks for your response. Actually, as far as I know, to continue working after the EAD expiry a valid i94 is required. Which she will get only when the extension is approved. Current i94 is expiring in June... I think we will have wait for another 4-5 months!
        You are right, for that if she already have valid visa, she can leave USA (visit Canada/Mexico/Bahamas etc.) & reenter to get her new I94 before expiry.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Similar situation for me and if my wife has to leave USA ,can she go to a country with "on arrival visa" and get her I94 extended with extension receipt notice

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
            If she already has EAD & you filed EAD renewal as well along with L2 extension, then she can continue working (as per new rule).
            I don't think this is true. L2 EAD, or L2 EAD pending renewal, or L2S without EAD, can only work while they have valid L2 I-94.

If she has an unexpired L2 visa, one option is to leave the US and re-enter with a copy of your L1 I-94, and she should be admitted to L2S for the same period as your L1 I-94.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
              In general 6-7 months is a fair estimate to expect L2 approval.

There is no expedite request for L2 extension. If she already has EAD & you filed EAD renewal as well along with L2 extension, then she can continue working (as per new rule).
              newacct i also second your point . Employment authorization is dependent on I 94 validity , and one option is to travel out of US to another country and get stamping done at US consulate like a fresh applicant using L1A approval notice.

Comment

Thanks newacct & chandan6025 for correcting.

Comment

Hi,
                  My L1 extension was applied in February 2022, and it was converted to Premium processing in the first week of March and got the approval in 13 days. Now I am waiting for my wife's L2 approval. Processing center is Texas. USCIS timeline is from 7 to 9 months! and her i94 is valid till June only.

Thanks.
                  Isn't the processing time about 4 months in Texas center for majority of cases ? Atleast that is what the website shows. You could try for inquiry outside normal processing time if it goes beyond 4 months.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X