Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to L1 Visa Change of Status

Hi,

I am currently working on H4 visa (change of status) and planning to switch to L1 visa. My L1 change of status will be filed in August 2022 under premium processing.

I am also planning to travel to India in October/November 2022.

1) I have an appointment for H4 stamping in November 2022. Will L1 COS application create any issues for H4 stamping? (I need H4 stamp as a backup to be able to travel and continue working in case I switch companies)
    2) Given current visa stamping backlogs, if I am unable to get an appointment for L1 visa stamping, will I be able to travel back to the US on H4?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    PM

1. no
    2. yes, but you will enter into H4 status

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks newacct. This is what I was expecting.

However, my lawyer mentioned that this might create a last action issue since my last approved visa would be L1A but I would be re-entering on H4 and remain on H4 status. They mentioned that this could lead to issues at the port of entry.

Would that be any problem? Looking for a 2nd opinion here.

Regards,
      PM
      Last edited by primittal01; 07-14-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by primittal01 View Post
        Thanks newacct. This is what I was expecting.

However, my lawyer mentioned that this might create a last action issue since my last approved visa would be L1A but I would be re-entering on H4 and remain on H4 status. They mentioned that this could lead to issues at the port of entry.

Would that be any problem? Looking for a 2nd opinion here.

Regards,
        PM
        "Action" is an I-94 taking effect. When you leave the US, your status ceases and your I-94 also ends. When you enter the US again, you are admitted based on your visa, and you are granted a new I-94 based on the type of visa. That I-94 is the last "action". Unless you have a pending Change of Status or Extension of Stay that has a start date after you enter, there is no later "action" than your re-entry.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

That's very helpful newacct, thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X