L1 to L2 visa conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 to L2 visa conversion

Me and my wfe are in L1 Visa working in USA. Her Visa validity expires on May 2011, but She have I94 valid till 2014. We got married in US itself and have the marriage certificate now. My employer wants me to go back to India Immediately, So I like to do a change of status to L2 . .
    1) Can I apply for L2 on my own ?( I dont want to do through her employer) ? If so How
    2) Can I apply for EAD along with my L2 ? What will be the processing time to get both ?

Originally posted by nivas01 View Post
    Me and my wfe are in L1 Visa working in USA. Her Visa validity expires on May 2011, but She have I94 valid till 2014. We got married in US itself and have the marriage certificate now. My employer wants me to go back to India Immediately, So I like to do a change of status to L2 . .
    1) Can I apply for L2 on my own ?( I dont want to do through her employer) ? If so How
    2) Can I apply for EAD along with my L2 ? What will be the processing time to get both ?
    You will need to file I-539. You must file this before your last day of work. It can be filed electronically on USCIS website. Search for form and instructions.
    As supporting documents you will need,
    Copies of your passport, Visa, I-94 both sides, paystubs, petition approval notice
    Copies of your spouse's passport, Visa, I-94 both sides, paystubs, petition approval notice
    Copy of marriage certificate

You can also file I-765 for EAD concurrently. But you will need to file both paper forms in the same envelope. No extra supporting documents will be required.

It takes 2-3 months for processing. But you can quit your job once you get receipt for the I-539.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

A few more questions

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.
      by the way, What will be the validity of the EAD that I receive ? Will it be equivalent to the I94 of my spouse or the visa expiry date of my spouse (which is may 2011 ) ?
      Is there anyway we can expedite the process to take less than two months ? I know this is dumb question , but just trying :-)

Comment

I am not sure about this, but the validity may be limited to 1 year. But either way it will be based on I-94 and not Visa.
        I don't know of any way to expedite it.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Can I convert my L1 visa to L2?

I have same question.

My husband and I, both work for the same employer on individual L1 visas. I’m planning to resign from my job soon.

- Can I resign in USA when I’m on L1 visa?
          - Can I convert my L1 visa to L2 here in USA? Or do I need to go back to India for interview?
          - How much time will it take?
          - What all documents are needed?

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X