Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1b

Hi,
    I am currently on L1B visa through major IT company and my visa is expiring in Oct'2012.

What are the options to extend my stay? Should I go for L1 to H1 for easy route? Also by when should the process be initiated to avoid any delays or issues?

Please advise

regards
    Andy

Your employer can file the extension up to 6 months before the current petition expires assuming you have not spent 6 years in the US in H1 status.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      Your employer can file the extension up to 6 months before the current petition expires assuming you have not spent 6 years in the US in H1 status.
      Thank you. My visa start date is Nov'09 and that's when I moved to US. Also if the company processes extension, will it be for 6 months or it can be processed for 2 more years? Or converting to H1 will be easy option?

Comment

Extension duration depends on a lot of things such as actual time you have already used from the from 5 year limit and whether the employer is able to show that work is available for the whole period. Normally the remainder from 5 years up to a maximum of 3 years is given.
        H1 can only be filed when the annual cap is open (start date later than Oct 1 and filing date later than Apr 1). If your current I-94 does extend beyond Oct 1, the employer can file H1 on or after Apr 1.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X