Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother name is incorrect in passport.

Hi,

I have been to US (alone, without family) on L1- Blanket VISA for 15 days in January 2012. I have my VISA valid till August 2014.

After 6 months I am expecting again to visit USA with my family for 8-9 months.

My passport is having spelling mistake in mother's name. I want my mother to attend VISA interview. If name in her passport is not matching with name in my passport than I think the VISA will not be approved for her.

I visited passport office and they told that I only need to print matter in a newspaper stating that the name printed in my passport is incorrect. After submitting this cutting of newspaper they will change mother's name in my passport accordingly.

But here the problem is that they are going to issue me a new passport for this change but if I will be issued with a new passport then my VISA will no longer be available. Now a days you never know if you will get a US visa again or not.

Can you please help me how to deal with this sitautuon of correcting my mothers name without issuing a new passport.

Please suggest.

Thank you - Manish Kumar

Mother name is incorrect in passport.

Even if you get a new passport, you can still travel using the old passpor't's visa. When you travel you have to carry both new and old passports with you.

Comment

Ok.. Thank you very much for the reply.

So, this means that they are not going to take my old passport.

How much approximate time will they take to issue me with a new passport.

Is there any other document be required or the newspaper cutting is enough for this?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you - Manish Kumar

Comment

In India, the passport processing time can take from days to months, though you can take help of agents to do this, but be careful to take help of only trustworthy ones otherwise you may get stuck in the process. Since you still have 6 months you can do so yourself too. Check the Passport services website for more details as to documentation required for it. Also, have you got L2 processed for your dependents? Further, your mother cannot travel on L2 she has to travel on B2. This is my opinion, do seek expert opinion too.

Comment

Hi Raghvi,

Many thanks for your input.

I did not find any informaton regarding the parent name change in passport service website.

No, I don't have VISA for family (wife and mother). Actually I just want to make sure that everything is ok before applying for dependent VISA, so that there will not be any chance of rejections in dependent VISA.

At the time of correction in my mothers name, I will also apply for entring the spouse name in my passport. However she is already having my name in her passport.

I am in a big confusion and don't want to take any chace of rejection in dependent VISA.

Thank you - Manish Kumar

Comment

There are two different issues here:

1. For your wife's passport, you do not need to have her name in your passport for processing her L2 visa. As logn as she has your name in her passport its good enough. She would need to take L2 documentation along with her for stamping.L2 if approved will be approved till yoru L1 date adn she will be eligible to stay with you as long as you are on L1 in US.

2. Your mother is not eligible for L2 based on your L1. She would have to get B2 processed for herself and she would need to carry the documents required for B2. B2, if approved, will most probably be given for 10 Years multiple entry, with a maximum stay of 6 Months at a stretch(may be less also base don I-94) For your motherWhich name is correct? The name in her passport or the name in your passport? For B2 one has to demonstrate strong ties to home country based on properties in her name, her job if she has any, pension documents, bank accounts etc And by correctness I mean which name is valid in the property documents, bank accounts and her documents. If her passport has the same name as these documents then she doesnt have to change her passoprt and you would have to change yoursto reflect this name.

As your travel is still undecided, you do have time to take one issue at a time. I think you are ok with respect to your wife's L2 but you would need ot work on your mother's B2 application.

This is my opinion and not a legal advice so please do consult experts too.

Comment

I have a related question:
              If spouse name is in passport but there is spelling mistake in her name, then can that cause issue?

e.g. In my passport name is "Roopali" while her correct name is "Rupali"
              while in her passport my name is correct.

Please suggest.

Comment

Again the same answer, what is the correct name? What is the name in here Birth certificate/10th/12th/Degree/ Marriage certificates? Its better to get it corrected initially rather than doing so later on.

Comment

Hi Raghvi,

Many thanks again for your inputs.

1. Ok, I will start the process for wife's VISA.

2. Name in mother's passport is correct whereas her name is incorrect in my passport. She is not having any property on her name but yes she has PPO form(Pension document), Bank account with the same name as in her passport.

Thank you - Manish Kumar

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
                  There are two different issues here:

1. For your wife's passport, you do not need to have her name in your passport for processing her L2 visa. As logn as she has your name in her passport its good enough. She would need to take L2 documentation along with her for stamping.L2 if approved will be approved till yoru L1 date adn she will be eligible to stay with you as long as you are on L1 in US.

2. Your mother is not eligible for L2 based on your L1. She would have to get B2 processed for herself and she would need to carry the documents required for B2. B2, if approved, will most probably be given for 10 Years multiple entry, with a maximum stay of 6 Months at a stretch(may be less also base don I-94) For your motherWhich name is correct? The name in her passport or the name in your passport? For B2 one has to demonstrate strong ties to home country based on properties in her name, her job if she has any, pension documents, bank accounts etc And by correctness I mean which name is valid in the property documents, bank accounts and her documents. If her passport has the same name as these documents then she doesnt have to change her passoprt and you would have to change yoursto reflect this name.

As your travel is still undecided, you do have time to take one issue at a time. I think you are ok with respect to your wife's L2 but you would need ot work on your mother's B2 application.

This is my opinion and not a legal advice so please do consult experts too.

Comment

Hi Raghvi,

Name in mother's passport is correct whereas her name is incorrect in my passport. She is not having any property on her name but yes she has PPO form(Pension document), Bank account with the same name as in her passport.

Do I need to correct her name i my passport for her VISA?

Thank you - Manish Kumar

Comment

Its is advisable to do so.

Comment

hi this is esther,
                        i am about to go to U.S for my further studies in medicine. recently i have got my passport and my mother's name was printed incomplete. will it be any problem to me later in my studies in medical universities in U.S or in any other issue? what can i do if i have to correct it?
                        can anybody please advice me?

Comment

My mother name is incorrect in my passport and i want to bring her here so what procedures I have to do plz suggest me bcoz i think it makes pblm with her visa

Comment

Originally posted by Anupam kumari View Post
                            My mother name is incorrect in my passport and i want to bring her here so what procedures I have to do plz suggest me bcoz i think it makes pblm with her visa
                            Is it a spelling mistake in the name or the whole name is different in passports?
                            - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X