Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver License renewal while applying for extension - California State

Hi ,
    My L1 VIsa is expiring in End of Mar 2012. My Driver license is also expiring the same day. My company is applying for extension of I94. In California, will the receipt of applying I94 extension suffice to renew License? If no, what is the option to renew license until I get my new I94?
    Please suggest.
    Thanks

Well, that is why USCIS allows you to renew the petition 6 months prior to the I-94 expiry date. If you wait till the last minute that is your mistake. The only option is to file the extension in premium and get the result within 15 days by paying an additional $1250. Talk to someone at the local DMV.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks. However, I had to wait for my employer's decision to check if they wanted to extend or wind up my current assignment. I'll try to check the local DMV on Monday.
      Thanks

Comment

Hello,
        Does anyone know if the License can be 'temporarily' extended with the Notice of action -I797 from the USCIS?
        I've received I797 with Notice Type as 'Receipt Notice'. Wanted to check if this will suffice for extending the license in CA?
        Appreciate any valuable response.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Visaquet View Post
          Hello,
          Does anyone know if the License can be 'temporarily' extended with the Notice of action -I797 from the USCIS?
          I've received I797 with Notice Type as 'Receipt Notice'. Wanted to check if this will suffice for extending the license in CA?
          Appreciate any valuable response.
          Thanks

Visaquet ,

I was wondering if you got your license renewed am in similar situation but i still have 3 months to go and my employer has just filed for my extension may be you can shed some light on your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by nanustud View Post
            Visaquet ,

I was wondering if you got your license renewed am in similar situation but i still have 3 months to go and my employer has just filed for my extension may be you can shed some light on your experience.
            I am in a similar situation now, did you your licence renewed with just the receipt notice

Comment

CA DMV is supposed to conform ID/DL expiry with I-94 for non-immigrants

You are at the mercy of an understanding & willing DMV agent willing to go beyond office procedure in granting you a new DL

It seems wacky that you would ask here and wait for an answer rather than just go to a DMV branch and try your luck

Comment

I had the same situation a few months ago. California DMV will not renew your license unless you have an Approved extension. The receipt for the application is not valid for them. I had to reapply my application and pay an expediting fee just to make it in time before expiry.

An option for you is to apply for an AB-60 drivers license which does not require proof of legal stay. However, you will need to go through the whole process of taking the written test and a behind the wheel exam.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X