Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B Visa is getting expired and need to travel USA

Hi,

I am working with ABC company and having L1B Visa valid up to 3rd May, 2012.

Now I need to travel to USA on long term (probably for 2 yrs) on project in 1st week of April, 2012.

Can I travel in such short period and file for Visa extension from USA and would US immigration will allow me to enter in USA? or Do I have to apply fresh L1B visa from India?

Thanks,
    Chirag Sheth

If this is a blanket petition which does not have any expiry date or if the petition expiry date is long in the future, you can certainly travel up to the last day of your Visa. Your duration of stay (I-94) will in that case be 3 years (depending on the time you have spent in the US in L1 status in the past). You can remain in the US and work for your L1 employer until that I-94 date, no extension will be necessary in that case. Extension will need to be filed before your I-94 expires. If you leave the US at any point of time after your Visa expires, you will need to apply for a Visa at a US consulate/embassy. Note that Visa, I-94 and petition are three different things.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      If this is a blanket petition which does not have any expiry date or if the petition expiry date is long in the future, you can certainly travel up to the last day of your Visa. Your duration of stay (I-94) will in that case be 3 years (depending on the time you have spent in the US in L1 status in the past). You can remain in the US and work for your L1 employer until that I-94 date, no extension will be necessary in that case. Extension will need to be filed before your I-94 expires. If you leave the US at any point of time after your Visa expires, you will need to apply for a Visa at a US consulate/embassy. Note that Visa, I-94 and petition are three different things.

Thank you Kabkaba,

Appreciate for your prompt reply.

In my blanket petition expiry date is mentioned (3rd May,2012). So in this case can I travel up to last day (as you mentioned). Previously I had travelled couple of time to US but didn't stay more than 6-8 months in US even though my I-94 was more than 1 year.

One more question that my daughter is just 1 yr and she doesn't have L2 visa. So can I apply for her visa now where my visa is going to expire in a month time. My company will file for my extension once I land in USA. So it it advisable to travel with this situation?

thanks again for your guidance.
      Chirag

Comment

That should not be a problem.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Need information on L1B visa travel ,as it is expiring in 11 months

Hi All , My L1B and dependent L1B is expiring on 8th December 2014 . If i want to travel to USA for long term , up to what time i can travel in USA .
          1. Weather US will allow me to enter USA as my visa has only 11 months remaining ?

2. If i enter USA weather i have to return before my VISA expire ?

3. How much validity i will get on my I-94 .

Please provide your good feedback so that i can plan accordingly as right now i am outside India and working in other country .

Regards,
          Anil

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X