Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 VISA validity after name change in passport

Hi

My wife is having L2 VISA and she will be applying for the reissue of passport to change her surname (i.e adding my name in her passport) so that we can apply for passport for our new born baby. Below are the questions I have in this scenario

1. Since her name is getting changed in her new passport, the L2 VISA in her old passport is still valid?
    2. Will the name change cause any trouble in the port of entry while travelling to US(as she has a different surname in her VISA in old passport when compared to the surname in new passport)?
    3. Do we need to intimate US Consulate(where the VISA was issued originally) about the name change?
    4. Will this name change cause any issue in getting dependent VISA for my Baby?
    5. While applying VISA for the kid what surname for the mother should be used? (surname in old passport or surname in new passport)

Please help me with the answers for the above questions.

Thanks in Advance...

Did you find any Solution for this Problem ?

Hi Dude,

I am also in the same position and worried about Passport renewal for my wife to bring them to US.
    It would be helpful a lot for me if you have any solution for me. You can mail the details to [email protected]

Thanks,
    Babu

Comment

Were you able to get the answers, I am in same situation

Originally posted by dude001 View Post
      Hi

My wife is having L2 VISA and she will be applying for the reissue of passport to change her surname (i.e adding my name in her passport) so that we can apply for passport for our new born baby. Below are the questions I have in this scenario

1. Since her name is getting changed in her new passport, the L2 VISA in her old passport is still valid?
      2. Will the name change cause any trouble in the port of entry while travelling to US(as she has a different surname in her VISA in old passport when compared to the surname in new passport)?
      3. Do we need to intimate US Consulate(where the VISA was issued originally) about the name change?
      4. Will this name change cause any issue in getting dependent VISA for my Baby?
      5. While applying VISA for the kid what surname for the mother should be used? (surname in old passport or surname in new passport)

Please help me with the answers for the above questions.

Thanks in Advance...
      Hi,
      Were you able to get the answers to your questions. I am in exactly same situation looking for answers.
      Please let me know how was your experience with the process.

Thanks
      Rajat Gupta
      [email protected]

Comment

As per US laws, an women is free to keep her maiden name after marriage. Ask your wife to keep her old name & get your name added into the passport.

Otherwise, get your new passport issued & then re-apply for L2 visa - which is usually easy to get.

- Not a legal advice, just MY opinion
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju2001 View Post
          Hi,
          Were you able to get the answers to your questions. I am in exactly same situation looking for answers.
          Please let me know how was your experience with the process.

Thanks
          Rajat Gupta
          [email protected]

Hi Rajat,

My wife didn't go for a surname change as we were not sure about the VISA validity. However she applied for a passport reissue endorsing my name so that my baby can get a passport. You are good to have VISA in old passport and actually have a new passport but you have to make sure you carry both the passport on all the travel. It's not mandatory to change the surname but if you really want to go for it then I am not sure about the L2 VISA (sorry I couldn't help as I didn't take that path). Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X