Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father's name correction in Indian passport and US Visa

Hi,

I will give you an example: Let us say my father's name is ABC XYZ. In my current Indian passport it is given as ACB XYZ.

I came to US in L1B visa and I filled up my father's name in DS-160 form as it is in my Indian passport (i.e., ACB XYZ). Now my Indian passport will expire in next few months but i have valid visa which will expire after two years.

I am planning to renew my Indian passport from Indian consulate in US and also at the same time i am planning to correct my father's name in the renewed passport. In this scenario i have the following questions:

1. Do i need to inform the USCIS once I get my new passport with father's name corrected?
    2. In future if i need to apply for extension of my visa or dependent visa or Green Card will there be any problem due to the change in my father's name from my old passport to my new passport?

Dipankar
    Last edited by kdipankar; 05-03-2012, 11:42 PM.

USe below information as information only- I am not an Attorney.

( Indian consulate may ask Additional evidence for fatehrs name correction I guess. I assume you may have that)

1. Do i need to inform the USCIS once I get my new passport with father's name corrected?

( To my knowledge there is nothing to be informed becasue your visa already stamped . You only need to fill in correct name next time you apply Visa )

2. In future if i need to apply for extension of my visa or dependent visa or Green Card will there be any problem due to the change in my father's name from my old passport to my new passport?

( As long as your Birth certificate Carry your Fathers name correct it should be OK. Apply for Green card need your Original Birthe certificate whihc should list your Fater/Mother name correct;y. As long as you have that it should be fine) For your dependant there is no where or no form they ask your Fatehrs Name in dependant's any of the applictaion. Even then it is OK becasue your most current passport would have correct anme anwyay . )

Comment

K Dipankar,

You do not need to worry! Because - You'll not be able to change (or call it correct you may) your father's name in your renewed passport. This detail will be copied over from your previous passport AS IS.

If you want to make a correction then that will be a very lengthy legal process of 2-3 years and won't be possible while in US. You should have got this corrected as soon as you got your existing passport 10 years ago by submitting proof that you stated this detail correctly in your application.

Rgds,
      Z

Comment

Father's name correction in Indian passport and US Visa

Hi Z,

I have contacted the Indian consulate in NY and they told me that father's name can be corrected if this is a spelling mistake. I provided them my father' name details and they said it can be corrected with proper documents in the new passport. I have my birth certificate and school leaving certificate which has my father's correct name.

Can you please let me know if you still feel that it would become a 2-3 year legal issue. I need to know this before i take any further steps.

thanks,
        Dipankar

Comment

Father's name correction in Indian passport and US Visa

I got my father's name corrected in my new passport.

Comment

name correction in Indian passport and US Visa

Originally posted by kdipankar View Post
            I got my father's name corrected in my new passport.
            Hi kdipankar ,

Good to know that you got corrected the name in your passport. I am into similar situation and need inputs on this.
            I am in USA working in H1b Visa for last six months.
            I need to sponsor my mother sometime early next year for B2(Tourist) Visa.
            The spelling of my mother's name in my passport is : ABCDOF XYZ
            &
            The spelling of my mother's name in her passport is : ABCDAF XYZ.

As well as all her supportive document back in India has the same spelling as her passport ie ABCDAF XYZ.
            Will this be a issue in getting her B2 Visa ?
            And since my school leaving certificate as well has the same spelling as in my passport ,i don't how can i apply for this correction.

Regards
            Vikash
            Last edited by buzzviki; 09-09-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Hello buzzviki, https://www.immihelp.com/forum/member/688250-buzzviki

I am in the same situation where my father and mother's name spellings are different in my passport compared to all their actual documents. I would like to know how you managed this situation or managed the correction. Kindly let me know if you can help here. thank you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X