L1 L2 Visa Queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 L2 Visa Queries

I am currently on L1 visa which is valid till Dec 2012. But I have got I 94 till Sep 2014 which I understand that I can stay here in US till Sep 2014 (without returning to India for any vacations). My wife and kid have joined me in US with L2 visa which is valid til Dec 2012 and their I 94 are issued only till Dec 2012.

How should I proceed in this case for my wife and kid visas? Any suggestions??

You will have to file the L1 and L2 extensions together before the I-94 expire. This is one big problem with L1 blanket. L2 I-94 extension cannot be filed based on your I-94. It has to be based on your valid petition.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Just curious to know, Is this scenario not a problem in L1 individual case...

Comment

No. In case of L1 individual, the I-94 is issued only till the L1 individual petition expiry date. Only for blanket petitions the I-94 @ the POE is issued for 3 years irrespective of the blanket petition expiry date.

Originally posted by mrcoolbuddy View Post
        Just curious to know, Is this scenario not a problem in L1 individual case...

Comment

L1B and I94 Query ?

Hi,

My L1B visa is set to expire on 21Oct2012, while I94 is stamped till 8th May2015. I started working in US from 01Dec2009. Please advise :
          1.Do I have to apply for visa extension/renewal since my visa expires in Oct12?

2. My wife would travel USA in another month on L2 visa what will be her Visa status whether she can and me stay in usa even after visa expiry based on my I-94 date?

regards
          Srikanth

Comment

>>> No. Visa is only an entry document to U.S. Your I-94 will determine until when you can legally stay and work in U.S. You should file the extension only within 6 months of the I-94 expiry date.

2. My wife would travel USA in another month on L2 visa what will be her Visa status whether she can and me stay in usa even after visa expiry based on my I-94 date?
            >>> Your wife cannot stay on your I-94. When she enters U.S, she will be issued an I-94. She can legally stay until her I-94 expiry date. If her I-94 is issued with the same expiry date as yours, then no issues. If her I-94 is issued only till Oct 2012, then you need to file your extension along with hers. Her I-94 cannot be extended based on your I-94. Her I-94 can be extened only based on your petition.

Comment

Originally posted by chika25
              Hi,

My L1B visa is set to expire on 21Oct2012, while I94 is stamped till 8th May2015. . Please advise :
              You can stay in the US until I-94 date. If you leave the US after Visa expiry, you will need to get the Visa before returning.
              Her status will be L2. She will have her own I-94. She can stay in the US until her I-94 date or your I-94 date whichever is earlier.

regards
              Srikanth
              See above.
              This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X