L2 to H1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 to H1

I am on L2 visa working on EAD. My spouse L1 visa and I94 expires on Sep 29th 2012. I have EAD valid through April 2013 (given based on my spouse's previous I94 before he traveled to India in Sep 2011).

My spouse's company is applying for L1 blanket extension now. However considering the L1 success ration now, we are thinking to apply H1-B visas for both of us. One more thing to add, we both have applied for H1-Bs before in 2007 and never used them and we can go for cap exemption this year for H1-Bs.

Please clarify the below:

1. I am currently negotiating with my employer for H1-B options; cap exemption vs new petition this year. I don't have the original approval notice of H1-B petition which was applied in 2007, so in this case can i be cap exempted this year (I only have the EAC receipt #) or apply new petition (have very less time)

2. If my H1-B is approved and also my spouse L1 extension approved, can i continue to work on L2 EAD or do i have to move to H1-B status compulsorily? Please explain the two options of H1b approval, COS vs consular processing in my case and how does each affect if i want to continue on L2 EAD even after my H1-B approved.

3. As I have my EAD valid till Apr 2013 (I know i can only continue on EAD if my spouse L1 extension is approved), when can i apply for L2 EAD extension? Do i need to apply after L1 extension approved or am I good until Apr 2013 with the current EAD i have?

Thanks.

Please help

Hello Seniors,

Can anyone please answer my questions.

Thanks.

Comment

1. I am currently negotiating with my employer for H1-B options; cap exemption vs new petition this year. I don't have the original approval notice of H1-B petition which was applied in 2007, so in this case can i be cap exempted this year (I only have the EAC receipt #) or apply new petition (have very less time)
      >>> You can get exempt from CAP using the receipt number.

2. If my H1-B is approved and also my spouse L1 extension approved, can i continue to work on L2 EAD or do i have to move to H1-B status compulsorily? Please explain the two options of H1b approval, COS vs consular processing in my case and how does each affect if i want to continue on L2 EAD even after my H1-B approved.
      >>> If the H1B gets approved as a COS (new I-94), then your status will automatically change to H1B as of the H1B effective date and you cannot continue on L2 EAD.

3. As I have my EAD valid till Apr 2013 (I know i can only continue on EAD if my spouse L1 extension is approved), when can i apply for L2 EAD extension? Do i need to apply after L1 extension approved or am I good until Apr 2013 with the current EAD i have?
      >>> You need to apply for the L2 extension only if your I0-94 is about to expire. When is your L2 I-94 expiring? You can file the extension 6 months prior to the I-94 expiry date.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X