Adopting a child in India and then immigrating to the US on L1 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopting a child in India and then immigrating to the US on L1 visa

We have already applied for in-country adoption in India. We hope to complete the adoption process in the next 6 months approximately. Now my company plans on transferring me to the US on an L1 visa. My company is ready to wait for us to complete the adoption process. I read several posts on this forum which mention 2 year co-residence requirement for the adopted child with the adoptive parents before one can apply for a visa for the child. It seems to me like this rule is applicable for current L1 visa holders residing in the US. My question is if it (co-residence requirement) is also applicable to my case? I will only be applying for an L1 visa after the adoption process is over and the adopted child has a Indian passport. Any inputs on this will be greatly helpful.

Thanks.

VH
    Last edited by microvish; 07-03-2012, 04:44 AM.

The rule applies to everyone. You won't be able to get a U.S dependent visa for your adopted child unless you have lived with the child for 2 years. Do consult a good immigration attorney.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      The rule applies to everyone. You won't be able to get a U.S dependent visa for your adopted child unless you have lived with the child for 2 years. Do consult a good immigration attorney.
      Thank you.
      Does this mean that both parents have to live with the adopted child for 2 years before applying for a dependent visa or is it sufficient for one of the parent, in my case my wife to live with the adopted child for 2 years before joining me in the US on dependent visas?
      VH
      Last edited by microvish; 07-03-2012, 04:48 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X