No announcement yet.

Can L1B (Blanket) extension applied 8 months in advance and while NOT in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can L1B (Blanket) extension applied 8 months in advance and while NOT in USA

I've a L1B blanket visa valid till April 2013 and currently I'm outside USA.
    On this visa, I've visited USA twice, once for 2 months and second time for 9 months, thus a total of 11 months till now.
    My employer is looking to file extension for this visa.
    My queries -
    1. Is it possible to file visa extension 8-9 months in advance?
    2. If I'm outside USA, still can I file for visa extension?
    3. What is the normal processing time to get results for an extension?
    4. Is there any concept of premium processing in filing L1B extension?
    5. In case I get a rejection on extension, will my parent L1B be cancelled or it'll maintain its validity status till April 2013?
    6. Can I travel to USA if my extension decision is pending or rejected?
    7. What other options do I have if I travel to USA after extension is rejected and I want to continue my stay there after April 2013?

Many thanks in advance !

- Kaybee

>>> No. Extension of petition can be filed only 6 months prior to the petition / I-94 expiry date. There is no such thing as visa extension. I guess you are talking about your petition extension.

>>> Visa is the one you get stamped at the consulate. Petition is the one you get approved by USCIS. Petition can be filed irrespective of whether you are inside or outside U.S. Once you get the petition approved, you can apply for the visa at the consulate.

>>> 2-3 months by normal process and 15 days by premium.

>>> Yes.

5. In case I get a rejection on extension, will my parent L1B be cancelled or it'll maintain its validity status till April 2013?
    >>> The previous one will remain valid.

>>> Yes. If your previous L1 petition and visa remains valid, you can travel.

7. What other options do I have if I travel to USA after extension is rejected and I want to continue my stay there after April 2013?
    >>> You cannot stay until you file the extension and it gets approved. You can stay only till the I-94 expiry date.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply but it resulted in few more queries in my mind -
      1. Is this extension of petition applicable only for visas granted on blanket petitions? For all individual petitions, an extension will be known as visa extension?
      2. My blanket petition end date is Feb 2013 while the date on the visa stamped on my passport is April 2013. So, a/c to your reply, I should be able to file for an extension of petition as soon as I reached in 6 months limit counted from Feb 2013.
      3. Is extension of blanket petition is different from a fresh blanket petition in terms of processing time, docs required and/or cost involved?
      4. If extension of blanket petition is approved, is it as good as getting an extension of stay for 2 years without any further formalities?
      5. By what date this extension will be effective in my case? Will it be from Feb 2013 or April 2013?
      6. If extension of blanket petition is approved and I plan to travel before April 2013 then do I need to visit embassy/ consulate before travel to get the extension of stay stamped on my passport?
      7. What will happen in the above point if I travel after April 2013?
      8. If I leave USA after April 2013 (w/o having an extension stamped on my passport) then before I reenter USA do I need to visit embassy/ consulate before travel to get the extension of stay stamped on my passport?

Many Thanks !
      - Kaybee

Originally posted by shervin143 View Post
      >>> No. Extension of petition can be filed only 6 months prior to the petition / I-94 expiry date. There is no such thing as visa extension. I guess you are talking about your petition extension.

>>> Visa is the one you get stamped at the consulate. Petition is the one you get approved by USCIS. Petition can be filed irrespective of whether you are inside or outside U.S. Once you get the petition approved, you can apply for the visa at the consulate.

>>> 2-3 months by normal process and 15 days by premium.

>>> Yes.

>>> The previous one will remain valid.

>>> Yes. If your previous L1 petition and visa remains valid, you can travel.

>>> You cannot stay until you file the extension and it gets approved. You can stay only till the I-94 expiry date.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X