Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1B to L1A conversion - Dependent L2 question - Need urgent help

Hi,
    My company just now converted my L1B visa to L1A category. but they didn't reapply my spouse's L2 during this conversion process. My wife is currently having L2 visa till Feb 2013 (which was applied along with my previous L1B).
    Here is my confusion - Because my category changed from L1B to L1A don't we need to reapply for my spouse's L2 alongwith my conversion? If my Visa category converted from L1b to L1A, does it mean that my spouse's current L2 visa (till Feb 2013) becomes invalid or it will still be valid till Feb 2013 and I have to apply for L2 extension sometime before Feb 2013?
    I am tensed because if her L2 visa becomes invalid as a result of this conversion that would mean she has to reapply ASAP or leave this country!!
    Thanks a lot for taking your time to read and respond in advance.

Originally posted by ambarishba View Post
    Hi,
    My company just now converted my L1B visa to L1A category. but they didn't reapply my spouse's L2 during this conversion process. My wife is currently having L2 visa till Feb 2013 (which was applied along with my previous L1B).
    Here is my confusion - Because my category changed from L1B to L1A don't we need to reapply for my spouse's L2 alongwith my conversion? If my Visa category converted from L1b to L1A, does it mean that my spouse's current L2 visa (till Feb 2013) becomes invalid or it will still be valid till Feb 2013 and I have to apply for L2 extension sometime before Feb 2013?
    I am tensed because if her L2 visa becomes invalid as a result of this conversion that would mean she has to reapply ASAP or leave this country!!
    Thanks a lot for taking your time to read and respond in advance.
    When is her I-94 expiring? She need not apply for L2 extension till her current I-94 is valid.This is my opinion, not legal one.

Comment

Originally posted by raghvi View Post
      When is her I-94 expiring? She need not apply for L2 extension till her current I-94 is valid.This is my opinion, not legal one.
      Her I 94 is till feb2013 but it was for my prev l1b visa. Would it be still valid as my status changed to l1a? Thanks a bunch for yor help.

Comment

Irrespective of whether you are in L1A or L1B or L1 individual, your dependents will always be in L2 status. There is no special L2 just because you changed from L1B to L1A. L2 for dependents are always the same. There is no need to file the L2 extension now. L2 extension can be filed when her L2 I-94 is about to expire. Extension can be filed 6 months prior to the status expiry date. If you would have changed your status to H1B, then you need to apply for H4 for your spouse. Changing from L1B to L1A - there is nothing to be done for the L2 as long as the L2 I-94 remains valid for a longer than 6 months.

Originally posted by ambarishba View Post
        Her I 94 is till feb2013 but it was for my prev l1b visa. Would it be still valid as my status changed to l1a? Thanks a bunch for yor help.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X