Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension of L1B visa or I 94

Hi

I need some help in understanidng some basic questions.
    My L1 B visa as well as I 94 are due to expire in April 2013. Now I need to file for extension of my stay. So my queries are-

1. If I file for extension, then will my L1 B visa gets extended or my I 94 gets extended.
    2. If My L1B can be extended, then can I go back to India and come back to US on same extension. Alternatively if my I 94 gets extended, then how can I go to India and come back?

Looking forward for a response to help me in planning.

Thanks in advance
    regards
    Varun

Originally posted by varunmarothia2 View Post
    Hi

I need some help in understanidng some basic questions.
    My L1 B visa as well as I 94 are due to expire in April 2013. Now I need to file for extension of my stay. So my queries are-

1. If I file for extension, then will my L1 B visa gets extended or my I 94 gets extended.
    2. If My L1B can be extended, then can I go back to India and come back to US on same extension. Alternatively if my I 94 gets extended, then how can I go to India and come back?

Looking forward for a response to help me in planning.

Thanks in advance
    regards
    Varun
    When you apply for extension, and if approved, you will get a new I-94 with a new validity date.
    I-94 End Date is the last date till when you are legally allowed to stay in US.
    Visa End Date is last date till when you are legally allowed to enter US.

As and when your visa expires in the passport and you are outside US, you got to renew it by getting a fresh valid visa in order to be allowed entry to US and that can only happen outside US. So, if your extension is approved you can stay in US on the extended I-94 but as and when you leave US you have to surrender that I-94. After April 2013 if you leave US you have to get a new visa stamping done in a US consulate abroad in case you want to return back.

So if you apply for extension and it gets approved you can stay till your new I-94, if it gets rejected you will have to leave before April 2013 I-94 expiry.

Even if your extension is approved in order to come back after April 2013 you need to go to US consulate outside US and get a new visa stamping done.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X