Following-to-join Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following-to-join Benefits

I am a US Citizen. I got my citizenship through marrying an American citizen. In 2000, when I got my green card I did not apply for my daugher (at that time she was 2000 years old and she is my daughter from a previous marriage, Brazilian). In May 2008, I was still a permanente resident and I filled a petition for my daughter. I found this "following-to-join Benefits" in the USCIS website. My question is: can I apply for this benefit? Did I get my green card through a "preference classification"? Here is what it says:

"Following-to-Join Benefits
    This section is for beneficiaries who became permanent residents through a
    preference classification.
    If you were married and/or had children who did not obtain permanent residence at
    the same time you did, they may be eligible for follow-to-join benefits. This means
    that you do not have to submit a separate Form I-130 for your spouse and/or
    children. In addition, your spouse and/or children will not have to wait any extra
    time for a visa number to become available. In this case, you may simply notify a
    U.S. consulate that you are a permanent resident so that your spouse and/or
    children can apply for an immigrant visa.
    Your spouse and/or children may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if:
    The relationship existed at the time you became a permanent resident and
    still exists, AND
    •You received an immigrant • visa or adjusted status in a preference category.
    If your family member falls into this category and you adjusted to permanent
    residency in the United States, you may submit the following:
    • Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition
    A copy of the original application or petition that you used to apply for
    immigrant status
    • A copy of Form I-797, Notice of Action, for the original application or petition
    • A copy of your Form I-551 (green card)
    If you are in the United States and have not yet filed to adjust your status to
    permanent resident, you can file Form I-824 with your Form I-485, in which case
    no supporting documents are needed other than those submitted with Form I-485."

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X