Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa query....

Dear members,

I hope you could advise me with the issue I have.

I am an Iranian citizen and have just received my I-20 and my Visa to do my Master's degree at Arkansas State University. However, instead of receiving a 2 years visa, I have received a 3 months F1 visa with single entry. It is mentioned in my Visa that the expiry date is Dec 2012, and I will be starting my course in Jan 2013(spring 2013).

1) Is that the normal procedure of Visa issuance? Receiving 3 months visa (the rule has been changed as of May 2011 that Iranian receive multiple entry visa).

2) Am I able to leave by now, meaning more than 30 days prior to my course starting.

3) Will the university change the status of my Visa once I attend classes and commence with the course?

Kindly advise if you have any information regarding what I mentioned.

Really appreciate your prompt replies.

Thank you.

Originally posted by AimarBK View Post
    I am an Iranian citizen and have just received my I-20 and my Visa to do my Master's degree at Arkansas State University. However, instead of receiving a 2 years visa, I have received a 3 months F1 visa with single entry. It is mentioned in my Visa that the expiry date is Dec 2012, and I will be starting my course in Jan 2013(spring 2013).
    Make sure to enter the US before the expiry date on your visa.

1) Is that the normal procedure of Visa issuance? Receiving 3 months visa (the rule has been changed as of May 2011 that Iranian receive multiple entry visa).
    the rule says: "As of May 20, 2011, qualified Iranian applicants for visas in the F, J, and M categories for non-sensitive, non-technical fields of study and research and their dependents will be eligible to receive two-year, multiple-entry visas. This is an increase in the current visa validity of three months, single entry."
    Maybe your degree is in a technical field and then you would not be eligible for a multiple-entry visa.

2) Am I able to leave by now, meaning more than 30 days prior to my course starting.
    You can not enter more than 30 days prior to the start date in your I-20.

3) Will the university change the status of my Visa once I attend classes and commence with the course?
    The university cannot change your visa. It just means you will not be able to travel internationally during your studies. If you do travel you need to apply for a new visa stamp at a consulate abroad. You can stay in the US as long as you have a valid I-20 and are in good status. The visa is only for entering the US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X