Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-20 and DS-160 mailing and permanent address for F1 visa

Hello,

I am about to request the I-20 document from a US college where I got accepted, in order to apply for the visas for myself and my wife (F1 and F2).

My wife and I, both Italian citizens, are currently based in the UK and we have our legal residency here, although we don't own a property in this country nor we plan to keep one on a rental basis while in the US.

Our permanent address is in Italy, where we have our own families, we own properties and have bank accounts. Our permanent address in Italy, that is my family home, is also where we plan to go back when I complete my studies in the US.

Now, I am a very confused on where to put each of the two addresses, the current UK one and my permanent one in Italy. So specifically here are two questions:

1. My college finances form, the one required to order the I-20, asks me to only put my "permanent home country mailing address". This address is my Italian address, although this is not the address where I am currently resident at (which is the UK one). Is it correct to put here my Italian address as that is my only permanent address, which I will keep while away since that is my family home?

2. After getting my I-20, I know that the DS-160 form will ask me to fill in my current address and my mailing address. I have been told that the current address should be the one where I have been living for the past six months.

At the moment my current address and my mailing address (where our passports with the visa stamp will be sent to) are both my UK one (and they will be so until July as I will travel to the US in August).

Since, in this way, my permanent Italian address will not appear on my DS-160 anywhere, will this cause any problem with getting my visa approved? Instead shall I put my Italian permanent address as my mailing address, and then have my mother mailing me the passport to the UK once she receives it from the embassy? Or shall I put my temporary UK address on the college finances forms so that will be the address appearing on the I-20?

Of course, at the visa interview (that will be at the US Embassy in London), I will bring with me some documents which will prove that we have our families and own properties in Italy, however I am just worried about putting the wrong address in the wrong place when filling all the papers.

If anyone has an idea on what I should do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anyone?

Comment

For the college form, it is not a big deal. You can enter any address where you want to receive the I-20.

For DS160, enter your current address in current address field and if it asks for Permanent address enter your Italy address.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X