Visa questions about changing school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa questions about changing school

I am a PHD student with F1 visa. After one year's study, for some reason, I might have to transfer or reapply to another university this year, with a master degree from my current university. My questions are:

1. Since I am changing my university, I will need new F1 visa and I-20 form. Do I have to go back to my country for the new visa? Can I do everything in U.S.? (My old visa has expired.)
    2. It seems that I must inform USCIS ahead of time about changing my school. How early should that be? I am just trying to reapply to other universities now and if I can’t get good offers, I will stay at my current school and won’t change anything. Thus, I can’t decide whether I will really change my school until I receive offers in January or February 2014 and I will enter my new school in September. Will it be too late to inform USCIS that I am transferring in February?
    3. I plan to be an intern with OPT or CPT during 2014 summer, which is the gap between my old and new F1 visas. Is it possible and legal?

Many thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X