B1/B2 to F1 Conversion? Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 to F1 Conversion? Please help.

Hi, Im currently in the United States. Been here for a month now. Can somebody tell me if i want to study a degree program in College, How can i get my visa converted to F1? Is it possible? What documents do i need to have?

Please reply it will be so helpful. Thanks

Originally posted by andysingh View Post
    Hi, Im currently in the United States. Been here for a month now. Can somebody tell me if i want to study a degree program in College, How can i get my visa converted to F1? Is it possible? What documents do i need to have?

Hello, Andy.

How long have you been in the US? If you file for a Change of Status in a very short time after entering US, i have heard, the USCIS declines it. Also, time your filing so that you get the outcome before your I94 expires.

Go to whichever University close to your residence and check the courses. They will ask for documents from you, your past education, maybe English language competency score, your passport and I94. Once they are satisfied they will issue you a I20 form - which is the College Acceptance Form.

Post which, you pay your Sevis Fee, Bank Statement showing enough funds to cover the education fee mentioned on the I20, I539 Form etc. and send it to USCIS. If possible, try to engage an attorney, they charge a fee (and are actually NOT very efficient, but they will be better than you and I).

Be very careful with your timeline. Your I94 should not be getting over before your course date. E.g.: You enroll for an MBA which starts in May 2014 and your I94 expires in Mar 2014, then your petition will be declined. You cannot have more than 1 month gap between your I94 expiring and your studies starting. Also, if you file too soon, like immediately upon entering, then your petition might still get declined as the USCIS would feel that your intent to come to US was to file for F1 visa.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to write for any other query.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by andysingh View Post

This might come in Andy

Wishing you luck.
      These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

In the same case, need a help

Hello,
        I need a help because i had a B1-B2 visa, and i'm currently in new york since 4 months and i take ESL courses in a college.
        I want to register for F1 visa. When i went to the office of immigration of the college they said me that i shouldn't take esl classes and i'm now in falt.
        But the college knew that i had a B1-B2 visa while register me for the esl.
        What should i do to have a I20?
        Thanks alot.

Comment

conversion of b1/b2 to f1

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
          Hello, Andy.

How long have you been in the US? If you file for a Change of Status in a very short time after entering US, i have heard, the USCIS declines it. Also, time your filing so that you get the outcome before your I94 expires.

Go to whichever University close to your residence and check the courses. They will ask for documents from you, your past education, maybe English language competency score, your passport and I94. Once they are satisfied they will issue you a I20 form - which is the College Acceptance Form.

Post which, you pay your Sevis Fee, Bank Statement showing enough funds to cover the education fee mentioned on the I20, I539 Form etc. and send it to USCIS. If possible, try to engage an attorney, they charge a fee (and are actually NOT very efficient, but they will be better than you and I).

Be very careful with your timeline. Your I94 should not be getting over before your course date. E.g.: You enroll for an MBA which starts in May 2014 and your I94 expires in Mar 2014, then your petition will be declined. You cannot have more than 1 month gap between your I94 expiring and your studies starting. Also, if you file too soon, like immediately upon entering, then your petition might still get declined as the USCIS would feel that your intent to come to US was to file for F1 visa.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to write for any other query.

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
          hi refer to above i am in usa in 90 day
          1. can we file both f1 conversion and b1 extension at same time.
          2. how long it takes to convert the status.
          3. after filling an application in any one of conversion i am in status (eg my visitor visa get expired in Oct an i field an application in Aug and result comes in Nov or DEC so what)
          4. if school is doing all process to send to USCIS then i have to engage an attorney

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X