F-1 visa expired, need to renew passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 visa expired, need to renew passport

My passport will be expiring soon, and I’d like to renew it at the Houston Embassy. Because my F-1 student visa expired during my studies and I’m currently not in status, I read in the renewal requirements that I must sign an affidavit of no status with the signatures of two witnesses that are Indian citizens and green card holders in front of a notary.

The issue is that I don't know anyone living near me that I could get the signatures from. The only qualifying individuals I know live out of state and I will not be able to have them physically present during the notarization process. Are they required to be physically present during the notarization process or can their signatures, passport/card scans be obtained through fax? What can I do at this point?

Can I apply for passport renewal with just me signing the affidavit?

I called the consulate and I was told that whatever is required in the form must be done. But what if I don't have anyone I know that qualifies?

Thanks for your help!

Notarization must be done in person, by physically being present.

I understand that the requirements are crazy and not practical for many people.

But what they have said is really the procedure and that is what you must do.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X