Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent OPT question

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here, and I hate to open it with something not positive but something that worries me.
    Currently I am enrolled at one of the country's best music schools and enjoy it a lot. Currrently I have also CPT.
    Because I will graduate from my school in May 2014 I have a question concerning the OPT that I wanted to sign up for.

I am not sure if I actually can get OPT and would like to know from you what you guys think.

I am enrolled as a full time student at the college but NOT in a bachelors or masters program but in a so called.."Musician certificate".

Here is what it says...

"...this full-time program typically includes the following each semester: major studies (6 credits), intensive ensemble participation, including orchestra for orchestral instrument
    majors (3 credits), and a minimum of one course in music theory, eurhythmics, or music literature. Students may elect to take additional course work beyond the full-time minimum of 12 credits per semester. Additionally, each student annually presents a recital or other approved performance event and completes all jury requirements as published for the Bachelor of Music program. A recital performed in fulfillment of program requirements cannot be considered retroactively as a recital requirement for any other degree or program. Students should work closely with faculty in advance to ensure that recital content aligns appropriately with program expectations.

Candidates must complete at least two years (four consecutive regular semesters) in full-time residence. The maximum time allotted for completion of requirements is five consecutive
    years from the date of initial enrollment. Candidates apply for graduation through the Registrar’s Office and submit project and recital materials, along with a portfolio of artistic achievements for evaluation by the Dean and the major department.

It should be noted that the Artist Certificate is not an undergraduate degree but rather a credential awarded in recognition of outstanding musical achievement. This program is not intended for students anticipating the pursuit of graduate degree studies."

Does that mean I will not be eligable for OPT ? I just would like to know what my options are. Otherwise I would consider continuing with school in another degree. I am seriously worried though. I nowhere could find on the web if OPT requires (!) A BA or MA or if Undergrad certificates like mine are also valid. From what I found on the official websites I think I should be fine since I have been F-1 student for almost 2 years by then, enrolled full time, worked with CPT, and have been in good academic standing the whole time.

For any help I would be very grateful. Thank you everybody...:-(

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X