X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 out of status, reinstatement with I-539

Hello,

This is a case that is quite crucial. Here it is as follows:

1. Initial I-20 : Expired on 05/23/2013 (mm-dd-yyyy) . Failed to notice it and the International students service at the University lets me know after two months of the expired date when I apply for graduation.
    2. On the advise of my counselor at International student service center, I apply for re-instatement back to F-1 status by applying the I-539 form via USCIS website (online application with proof of financial documents and other credible informations). He also provides me a new I-20 with the expiration date extended to 12-20-2013 (mm-dd-yyyy) .
    3. Application for re-instatement using I-539 was done on September-25th-2013. I check the status of this everyday. There has not been any updates so far (image containing personally identifying information removed for personal safety reasons)

Questions:

1. How long does it take to get the result from the USCIS.
    2. Am I in real trouble since I applied for this re-instatement after failing to notice that my initial I-20 has expired ?
    3. Will it be a problem if I don't get any answers from them beyond 12-20-2013 (mm-dd-yyyy) ?
    4. I still have to apply for my OPT and search for a job. Will I still be able to search for jobs and apply for it during my wait for the result from USCIS which is still pending ?

Please do answer and help me with this, I am really tensed since this is a very crucial time for me and I have to get the resinstatement.

I applied for my reinstatement in December of 2013 and got it reinstated at the end of October 2014, so about 10 months wait. I recommend doing the following:
    - InfoPass appointments (visit the infopass website)
    - Calling the USCIS customer service and mentioning there's a problem with the case
    - Filing inquiries online every 30 days (on the USCIS website)
    - Write to a congressman and get some help, a senator in your state. Check their website, they probably have a webpage where you can ask for help with federal offices.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X