Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B to F1 visa questions - regarding when to quit job

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the transfer of Visa from H1B to F1. My H1B expires in May 2014 and that my H1B stamp is valid till Nov 2013. I have a Phd offer with full scholarship & funding with tuition waiver at a top university. I see that the following 2 choices basically.

Questions:

1. If I choose option 2 from below, when should I quit my H1B job? Is it advisable to quit after I go for F1 visa stamping or before?
    2. If I retain my H1B job before I go for F1 stamping: how does the 2 week notice work?
    3. If I give a 3 week notice and take a paid vacation in hope to make it back in time (in case visa gets rejected): My employer would have already withdrawn the H1B petition.

Choices:

1. Change of transfer (COS) - I539 form:
    Pros:
    a)Can stay in USA
    b) Take courses while COS is being processed
    c) Less risky in general
    Cons:
    a) Takes 3-5 months depending on individual case.
    b) Not eligible for funding/part-time jobs from university while the COS is still being processed = Means, you pay the tuition fee, etc (as the funding usually waives the tuition, hence,without funding you will pay your own tuition - 9000$/sem - depending on the university)

2. Visa stamping
    pros:
    1. Immediate
    2. If approved, can return 1 month before classes start. This is beneficial if you need time to move, etc.
    3. Can make it back to the US before school starts - if time is limited.
    4. If F1 visa gets rejected for whatever reason, I can come back to USA (provided my H1B stamp is valid) as if nothing had happened.
    cons:
    1. Costs lot of money to go to home country, etc.
    2. 221g processing (pink slip) - from 1 week upto 2 months waiting. (I waited for 5 weeks before I got my H1B stamped on my passport - so, I know the pain)

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X