Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My passport expires before my study period is over ... Can I apply for Student Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My passport expires before my study period is over ... Can I apply for Student Visa

I have an Indian passport issued when I was 15 years old. Now I am planning to apply for doctorate study but my passport is expiring before my study period finishes. At least a year before. I am currently worried as to what I should do. Will I get my Visa processed though my passport expires before the period. Or will my visa request be rejected. I am applying to US. Someone please give me a reply

They only require one year of validity on your passport to process the visa, so you will be ok. If you plan to go out the US while you are studying, you should make sure that you have 6 months of validity on your passport before traveling back to the US, otherwise you should get a new one before returning. In this case when you return to the US you should show the immigration officer both passports, the one with the valid visa and the new one, please do not attempt to remove the visa and stick it to the new passport, doing so will result in cancellation of your visa.

At the moment of your entry to the US you are required to have at least 6 months of validity in your passport, but there is no specific time of validity required for your visa, you can arrive the US even the day of its expiration, this will not affect the time you are authorized to stay.

If your passport expires while you are in the US I would suggest you to contact an indian consular office in the US to get a new one before going out of the US.

Hope this can help you!

Comment

Originally posted by anjali0126 View Post
      I have an Indian passport issued when I was 15 years old. Now I am planning to apply for doctorate study but my passport is expiring before my study period finishes. At least a year before. I am currently worried as to what I should do. Will I get my Visa processed though my passport expires before the period. Or will my visa request be rejected. I am applying to US. Someone please give me a reply
      You need not worry about your visa as you have 1 year of validity left. The requirement is 6 months minimum i guess. Best get new passport as soon as possible.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X