F1 Visa Renewal after University Transfer and a previous 221G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa Renewal after University Transfer and a previous 221G

I am a fully funded PhD student. My F1 visa expired on 28 June 2015 and I want to renew it. My previous F1 Visa has the following issues:

1. It is from a DIFFERENT UNIVERISTY than the one I am currently studying in (I transferred to a new university while the visa from my previous university was still valid and thus do not have a visa from my current university).

2. It has a CLEARANCE RECEIVED annotation on it (due to a 221G)

As per the US Consulate webpage (http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/iwp2.html), I am ineligible for the dropbox service. The mentioned webpage states "If the previous visa is annotated with the words “clearance received,” that applicant is not eligible for a waiver of a personal interview."

However, the ustraveldocs.com website that handles the Consulate's interview scheduling and document procesing gave me a Drop Box Confirmation Letter Page and say that I qualify for the interview waiver program after a telephone conversation.

I am unsure whether to follow ustraveldocs or the consulate's webpage. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Hi.. I am in a similar situation. The website during application does not ask for any details such as annotations. How are you dealing with this? Any update will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Have you guys found a solution? I'm in a similar situation except that I do not have a 221G but I am going to a different school and different program. The consulate says I am not eligible for drop box but ustraveldocs I am eligible. Not sure what to do.

Thanks.

Comment

Two ways to handle this.

1. Submit by dropbox and if interview waiver is not possible, they will invite you to an interview.
        2. Schedule an interview irrespective of what ustraveldocs says.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X