Starting your own business on F-1 OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting your own business on F-1 OPT

Hi everyone, new here and first time post. I've tried to search for this so I do apologise if it has already been answered.
    I am from the UK and have just finished my MBA here in Boston, where I was on the F-1 visa.
    I am now on the OPT extension and have managed to get a job.

I had originally wanted to start my own business but everyone I spoke to from my University advisors to immigration attorneys advised me not to, and to focus on getting a job instead.
    This makes sense but now I have a job and am able to remain in the country, I still would like to pursue my own business ideas as well, in the hope of setting it all up in my free time.
    I am trying to discover my best options.

1- I register the business now, I believe I can on OPT as long as I do not take a salary or any compensation from it?
    2- I know there is the chance that I register the business here and next year when my OPT runs out and if I do not gain a working visa I have to go back to the UK, will it be easy enough to simply close the business from operating in the US and move it to the UK? (it's going to be a clothing/activewear business so not the highly sought after tech startup)
    3- Would I perhaps be better advised to look at moving to Canada and hope to gain their startup visa? I'd love to operate in Canada, perhaps more so than the U.S. to be honest.

Does anyone have any advice for someone hoping to start their own business whilst on OPT?
    Is there any way that if it became a successful business I could gain a work visa through it?

Many thanks for any help.

If you're on OPT and have your EAD card, you can start (and work in/earn money from) any business that is related to your field of knowledge. You are also eligible to work for multiple employers. I have confirmed this with both my school's international students office, and an immigration lawyer. The catch is that, obviously, you will lose authorization for that once your OPT expires, so you would have to get a different visa in the meantime if you want to carry on doing business.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X