conflict F-1 student visa with I-130 application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conflict F-1 student visa with I-130 application

Hello, I'm a US permanent resident and my daughter living in Madrid Spain who is a Spanish national has been accepted to the University of Alabama next fall as a freshman. I filed last Feb 2015 an I-130 application for permanent residency for her as a F2A family member which is still under review. I was surprised to find that the university refuses to issue an I-20 form needed for the F-1 student visa saying the US Consulate will refuse the F-1 since there's a clear intent to immigrate to the US. Even if accepted by the USCIS the I-130 application won't be processed in time for my daughter to go to the university next year as a permanent resident and if the university won't give her the I-20 she won't be able to go either with a F-1 visa. My question is whether I should withdraw the I-130 and hope then that the university issues an I-20 ? Even so I imagine the US consulate officer (CO) will know that the I-130 was filed and then withdrawn, and knowing there's a close family tie with a US person (me) they might still refuse the F-1. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X