My F1 Visa Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My F1 Visa Experience

27th October,2015, Kolkata Consulate, Appointment Time: 8:30 am, Counter Number-5
    University: University of Arizona Honors College (Spring 2016, BS in **** *nomy)
    Although I had to wait in tiresome ques both inside and outside for about 2 hrs, my F1 Visa interview went great and here is the transcript.
    Me: Good morning ,sir
    VO: Good morning (VO was an American guy)
    Me: How are you, sir?
    VO: Fine, how are you?
    Me: I'm fine too, sir
    VO: Ok, Pass me your documents( I-20, DS-160 and University Admit letter was stacked in my passport by the other lady before entering in the interview room). So, What's your purpose for visiting the US?
    Me:*Passes the documents* To Pursue BS in **** *nomy in University of Arizona?
    VO: Oh, **** *nomy, huh?
    Me: Yeah, I am really fascinated about it.
    VO: Ok, so what is occultation?
    Me: blah blah....
    VO: What is light year?
    Me: blah blah... mega blah blah...also gave an example to demonstrate it
    VO: What is **** *nomical Unit?
    Me: *I didn't hear the question properly since there was a bit of noise inside*, so I just asked him to repeat the question
    VO: Ok, forget about it. Which part of **** *nomy you like?
    Me: I'm really fascinated about black holes. I wanna study them in more detail
    VO: What is event horizon?
    Me: blah blah.. super blah blah..
    VO: What is singularity?
    Me: Fumbled there a bit, but answered it properly
    VO: Ok. Any other admits?
    Me: Yes sir. Florida Tech, SUNY Stony Brook, Penn State University (University Park)
    VO: Why University of Arizona?
    Me:*knew they would surely ask this question, so I practiced a bit about it* Was answering it, but VO interrupted in the middle
    VO: I see, you have prepared hard for this?
    Me: *Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, well, became a bit nervous there, but maintained my posture and smile*
    VO: Ok son, how are you gonna meet these expenses?
    Me: Well sir, my parents would fund me. My father.. blah blah blah......My mother....ultra blah blah...blah
    VO: Ok, State 3 types of telescopes.
    Me: blah blah blah....
    VO: My favourite is blah blah...
    Me: I own a blah blah...since I'm an amatuer, it's best for me blah blah
    VO: This week ther are great things to see in the sky
    Me: yeah sir, the blah blah...blah
    VO: Ok son, study hard. YOUR VISA IS APPROVED. *Mistakenly returned me the passport*
    Me: *I was perplexed as he returned the passport yet said that my visa was approved*
    VO: Oh sorry, I want your passport.
    Me: *Smiled faintly*.
    VO: You could collect your visa 1 or 2 days after from XX
    Me: Thank you, sir. Have a nice day.*Then left the place*
    So, my final advice to all who are going for a visa interview is to always keep your confidence, maintain eye contact all the time (I always made eye contact with my VO), be polite, dress properly (like the interview matters to you), and always maintain a smile. Remember that the night before the interview, I didn't even sleep for even 5 mins, since I was working on a project, but everything worked out well. Oh, and my VO didn't ask for any documents other than Passport, DS-160 and I-20.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It will be helpful to others.
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X