Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdrawing visa renewal application during administrative processing

Hi all,

I have been doing my PhD in US for the last 4 years. My visa is going to expire in June 2016. Since I was going to be in India for a whole month in December, I decided to get my visa renewed (my i-20 expires June 2018). Initially, I was asked to submit my documents at the dropbox in Bangalore and I did so. I had all my resume, publications, letter from advisor, funding letter etc. ready but the person at the dropbox location did not take any of those. She just took my passport, i-20 copy and DS-160.

After a week, I got back my passport but with a blue 221(g) form asking me to appear at the Chennai consulate with my resume and publications, which I did. However, I got another 221(g) form saying it needs additional administrative processing. The consular officer asked me when I was returning back and I mentioned that my college starts in the 1st week of January. In reply, she told me that they will try to process it by then. This interview was on 24th December.

However, my visa is still under administrative processing and I have no idea how much longer it would take. I really need to get back quickly since I have a TA appointment and other important work there. I am considering withdrawing my application since I have 6 months of visa left. I can take up the renewal process again sometime later. I called the helpline regarding the withdrawal and they asked me to send an email to india-support id and that they will try to see if it is possible.

1. Is it possible to withdraw my visa renewal application while under administrative processing (221g)?
    2. If I withdraw, would it affect the remaining 6 months of visa I already had?
    3. How long would the withdrawal process take?

Any help regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

hello
    I know this is an old post, but want to know if you withdrew your application. If so, how did it work?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X