F1 Student Marrying US Citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Student Marrying US Citizen

Hello, I'm currently an F-1 student attending college in Texas. I have been in the United States on F-1 visa from when I was 14 years old. I will be graduating in May 2016 from my college and attending a Texas state pharmacy school in the fall of 2016. My boyfriend and I have been considering getting married by the end of May. He is a US citizen and I was wondering what would happen to my visa status after getting married. I am also hoping to receive in-state tuition at the pharmacy school. I understand that the state of Texas recognizes your residency if you reside in the state for a year and hold a certain kind of visa. Would this apply to me at all? So my questions are:

* After marrying my boyfriend, will I be considered to be on a certain visa? Or am I on the path of becoming a permanent resident and visas no longer apply to me?

* What is the timeline for all the legal procedures and statuses?

* In essence, would it be feasible for me to file for permanent residency at the end of May, defer my admission to pharmacy school for a year, establish domicile in Texas, and then receive in-state tuition for the following year? (Fall 2017)

I would really appreciate any sort of help to clear this out. Thank you for your time.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X