Can I apply for F2 visa as I already have a visit visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I apply for F2 visa as I already have a visit visa

I currently hold a visit visa and I have also travelled to US while my husband was on F1. He is currently working on OPT, so am planning to quit my job and go on F2. But I have few queries regarding this.
    1. Are the chances high that my F2 will get rejected since my husband already completed his masters and working now? Will the US immigration officer assume we are immigrating to US and reject my F2? If my F2 gets rejected, will my visit visa be rejected as well? If not, will I be questioned at US port of entry on why did I plan my travel to US though my F2 got rejected?
    2. Both me and my husband are applying for H1 this year. If at all I get F2, should I return to India to convert my status to H4/H1 ? If I go on a visit visa, I surely need to return to India to change the visa status. Please clarify.
    3. If I plan to go on visit visa, then will the immigration officer in US deny a stay of 6 months for me at a stretch because I have already quit my job and don't have any strong reason to return to my home country?

Originally posted by divvi View Post
    I currently hold a visit visa and I have also travelled to US while my husband was on F1. He is currently working on OPT, so am planning to quit my job and go on F2. But I have few queries regarding this.
    1. Are the chances high that my F2 will get rejected since my husband already completed his masters and working now? Will the US immigration officer assume we are immigrating to US and reject my F2? If my F2 gets rejected, will my visit visa be rejected as well? If not, will I be questioned at US port of entry on why did I plan my travel to US though my F2 got rejected?
    2. Both me and my husband are applying for H1 this year. If at all I get F2, should I return to India to convert my status to H4/H1 ? If I go on a visit visa, I surely need to return to India to change the visa status. Please clarify.
    3. If I plan to go on visit visa, then will the immigration officer in US deny a stay of 6 months for me at a stretch because I have already quit my job and don't have any strong reason to return to my home country?
    You can apply for F2, though it is rather late, but give it a trial if the school can still issue you I-20.
    If your F2 is rejected, your B1/B2 cannot be cancelled.
    Your B1/B2 afford you maximum of 6 months on a visit, however when next you want to enter they may query you of your mission.
    Whatever option you are seeking, get in first to know which one will require you go out before you apply for. People will guide you.
    My family has active B1/B2 without traveling and they went for F2 and they gave them (3) without cancelling existing visa, though it's 3 month after I left.

Comment

Were are you right now? in USA or back in India?

It is always suggested to not lie to the VO & CBP officer at the POE.

So, I would suggest you to continue on B1 (if you are already there in USA) or make a short trip to India & come back to USA on B1 itself.

Once your husband or you gets H1, use either your own H1 or H4 to visit there.

Getting F2 now, while your husband is trying for H1 won't make much sense.
      - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X