Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Visa from B1 to F1

Hello,
    I had a B1/B2 visa and visited US once. I'm currently working at Chennai. Having more than 10 years of experience I planning to do my MS in US.

Here I have the following doubts;
    1. If I apply for F1 visa, still my B1/B2 valid or it will be cancelled.
    2. Will my B1/B2 visa helps me to get F1 visa or similarly like other students, I may get rejection.

Please advise.

Originally posted by csk.sakthi View Post

B1\B2 will stay valid. But in the off chance they discover any misrepresentation, B2 risks being cancelled.

2. Will my B1/B2 visa helps me to get F1 visa or similarly like other students, I may get rejection.
    No, your B visa has nothing to do with F1; totally different eligibility criteria. 50-50 chance, just like everyone else.

Comment

Your B1 visa will be valid upto validity date mentioned, however it doesn't help in getting F1. US will provide only 1 visa for a candidate per time, suppose if you are going on F1 visa, you will not be allowed to enter with B1 visa.
      Datascribe LPO

Comment

Hello,
        I had a B1/B2 visa and visited US once. I'm currently working at Chennai. Having more than 10 years of experience I planning to do my MS in US.

Here I have the following doubts;

Please advise.
        Your B1 visa will not be cancelled assuming it is still valid.

Officially the B1 visa is not supposed to influence your F1 application. However a good history (no overstays, misuse, etc.) on your record is likely to help build a favourable perception. Both are non-immigrant visas after all so your satisfactory conduct as B1 will prove a history of bonafide non-immigrant intent.

Comment

DS160 for F1 help!

Hi, I am an Indian citizen, currently working in Singapore on an Employment pass. I have been issued a B1/B2 Business Visa to USA 3 years ago in Singapore. I am now applying for a student visa. While filling the DS-160, I filled in my previous visa details. How do I answer the question - "Are you applying in the same country or location where the visa above was issued, and is this country or location your place of principal of residence?"

I am confused because I have filled out my "home address" as my address in India, but I presently (and for the last 7 years - 4 years study and 3 years work) live in Singapore (rent a house and pay taxes in Singapore)

Will greatly appreciate your help!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X