B1/B2 instead of F1. EMERGENCY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B1/B2 instead of F1. EMERGENCY!

I applied for an F1 visa as I'm going for a one month summer course in the US. I have to leave in two days. Upon checking my visa I realised that I have been granted the B1/B2 visa instead of the F1 visa. I am in a fix.

The issue was that initially my father applied for a B1/B2 visa for our family as a group appointment and paid the fee. Later on, we had to cancel my parents' appointment and book a new one for me. I spoke to a rep from the embassy and she guided me through the process of scheduling a new appointment from the same account using the fee paid previously. Hence, I put the same DS-160 code that we received upon fee payment of our B1/B2 visa because she told me I could use it for a new appointment.

On my appointment confirmation page, it clearly stated that I'm applying for an F1 visa and the interviewer at the embassy saw my I-20 and SEVIS payment form and even asked me why I wanted to go to this particular institute.

I am now flying to Mumbai (Place of US Embassy where I gave my interview) to get this glitch corrected. It would be a great help if someone could guide me through this. It is very urgent.

Originally posted by Apra Jain View Post
    I applied for an F1 visa as I'm going for a one month summer course in the US. I have to leave in two days. Upon checking my visa I realised that I have been granted the B1/B2 visa instead of the F1 visa. I am in a fix.

The issue was that initially my father applied for a B1/B2 visa for our family as a group appointment and paid the fee. Later on, we had to cancel my parents' appointment and book a new one for me. I spoke to a rep from the embassy and she guided me through the process of scheduling a new appointment from the same account using the fee paid previously. Hence, I put the same DS-160 code that we received upon fee payment of our B1/B2 visa because she told me I could use it for a new appointment.

On my appointment confirmation page, it clearly stated that I'm applying for an F1 visa and the interviewer at the embassy saw my I-20 and SEVIS payment form and even asked me why I wanted to go to this particular institute.

I am now flying to Mumbai (Place of US Embassy where I gave my interview) to get this glitch corrected. It would be a great help if someone could guide me through this. It is very urgent.
    It is clearly stated that any course program for six month or less will be issued B1/B2. In that case u may not need I-20 because such program is regarded as training course. So you should be okay with visa considering the purpose stated for the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ola1974 View Post
      It is clearly stated that any course program for six month or less will be issued B1/B2. In that case u may not need I-20 because such program is regarded as training course. So you should be okay with visa considering the purpose stated for the trip.
      My course has more than 18 working hours per week, hence an F1 Visa is mandatory for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ola1974 View Post
        studying on a visitor visa is not an authorized purpose for that visa. It seems you will need either an F1 visa or an M1 Visa.
        This is from the USCIS website:

Is it permissible to enroll in school while in B-1/B-2 status?

No, it is not. The regulations, at 8 CFR 214.2(b)(7), specifically prohibit study in the United States while in B-1 or B-2 status.

Before enrolling in classes, individuals who are in B-1 or B-2 status must first acquire F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status. Enrolling in classes while in B-1/B-2 status will result in a status violation. Individuals in B-1 or B-2 status, who have violated their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in classes, are not eligible to extend their B status or change to F-1 or M-1 status. These regulations provide no exceptions.
        This is purely my opinion and does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X