Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 Conversion

Dear all

My wife has recently been accepted for a MS degree in 2 prestigious US universities. I am on H1B here and she is on my dependent status (H4).

I have some questions about her change of status:

1) Do we have to file for the change of status or does the university file for it? Could anyone please elaborate on the entire process?

2) She has not finalized which university she will go to. Can we have the Change of Status process initiated with both the universities, to save time?

3) Is getting an I-20 the first step in this process?

I would appreciate any help from all of you.

Thanks and Regards
    PM

1) You need to file COS.
    2) Nope. Choose one university, and use that I20 for COS. Think of this as if you were applying for a F1 visa back home. You would pick one university, and go to the consulate to get a F1 visa based on it. You can then change/transfer universities once you report to the original university. Similar process would be followed in this case too.
    3) Yes.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

H4 to F1 Conversion

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
      1) You need to file COS.
      2) Nope. Choose one university, and use that I20 for COS. Think of this as if you were applying for a F1 visa back home. You would pick one university, and go to the consulate to get a F1 visa based on it. You can then change/transfer universities once you report to the original university. Similar process would be followed in this case too.
      3) Yes.
      Thank you, very much.

Could you please let me know what the process for conversion entails in terms of formalities or point me to source to know that?

Thanks and Regards
      PM

Comment

Originally posted by pm87 View Post
        Thank you, very much.

Could you please let me know what the process for conversion entails in terms of formalities or point me to source to know that?

Thanks and Regards
        PM
        Hello PM,

Could you please elaborate more details on this process? I am trying to get more information about the process as you listed as my wife is in the same situation as yours. Please let me know. I appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X