Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering as F-1 and getting married

Hi,

I am returning to school after my military service in korea, so I need to have a new I-20 and F-1 visa.

& I have a fiance whom I have been dating for last 4 years and now we want to get married when I go back.

However, my school's international student office told me if that is my plan, they are reluctant to process my I-20 since I'd be coming to the states to get a permenant residency.

I was wondering if I do get a F-1 Visa and enter the States and get married, can that become a problem? I am planning to get married in June and go to the states in May(with F-1 Visa). Also my school starts in September.

The advisor from my school told me that it'd be a lie if I said "no" to the question where it asks me if I am visiting the States to become a permanent residence.

So is my only option is to get a fiance visa? or can I still get a F-1 visa and get married?

and I saw in here(https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/A2en.pdf) that I can get married if I am already in the states so I thought getting F-1 visa to enter was fine since I can file I-130 after I get a marriage license. But would that become a problem? Would USCS consider that as a lie?

Thank you for your help

Strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with entering the country with an F-1 visa, getting married, and leaving at the end of your studies

However, that doesn't sound like it is your plan

In that case, the fiancee visa process is far more straightforward and certain. In addition, you will eventually be able to qualify for in-state tuition rates, which you never will on F-1

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      Strictly speaking, there is nothing wrong with entering the country with an F-1 visa, getting married, and leaving at the end of your studies

However, that doesn't sound like it is your plan

In that case, the fiancee visa process is far more straightforward and certain. In addition, you will eventually be able to qualify for in-state tuition rates, which you never will on F-1
      Or can I have both fiance visa and F-1 at the same time? The problem is that I need to register for my classes before my school starts that is around April.

If I were to apply for the fiance visa, I think it'd be too late to register for my classes since I will be applying for that in April and I assume it will take few weeks to process the paperworks since it's gov't(they are slow).

And if I do apply for the fiance visa, I know it allows me to stay for 90 days; however, what will it say on my passport for its valid dates? In other words, what will be the starting date of the visa? Will it be the day I get approved or the day I apply for it? Or can I choose the date which it begins?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X