Married need help renew DL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married need help renew DL

My Wife came here on a student visa and completed school. We got recently married and wanted to renew her drivers license. We was told in order to change and renew her DL she needs to change her name on her SS card. In order to change her SS card she needs a green card or work permit. Can she apply for a work permit now that she is married? We need to know the fastest way because we can have her taking care of our little girl with no DL I don't like the run around people has us going. Thank you

Originally posted by nbj12 View Post
    My Wife came here on a student visa and completed school. We got recently married and wanted to renew her drivers license. We was told in order to change and renew her DL she needs to change her name on her SS card. In order to change her SS card she needs a green card or work permit. Can she apply for a work permit now that she is married? We need to know the fastest way because we can have her taking care of our little girl with no DL I don't like the run around people has us going. Thank you
    Is she on OPT? If so she would have an EAD that allows her to get an SS card. Yes, if you apply for Adjustment of Status now you can also apply for an EAD based on Adjustment of Status for free. But EAD might take 4-5 months to get after applying. If she doesn't have an EAD, Social Security should be able to update her name in the system, but can't issue her a card (and might take the old card back). Is having it updated in the system sufficient for the name change on her driver's license? or do they need an actual card? Also, is it possible to just renew her driver's license without changing the name, and change it later?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X