Help me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me!

Please, I'm writing to seek your help as profoundly as you can offer it.

Background: I'm a black African male.

Last year, I had an affair with a girl (white girl) which culminated into her getting a restraining order (RO) against me because of my repeated calls to her to make amends. Actually, we had concensual sex first time ever, but by some strange reason, she became flustered about it the following morning. I repeated efforts through phone calls and emails to explain to her that my affection for her was real, but on the fifth day, I received a temporary RO from the police. Three days later, I appeared at a local court, and all she wanted was a permanent restraining order, which was granted for one year. The court process lasted barely three minutes! As I write now, I do not know the exact reason she gave to obtain the order. If she had reported rape, I'm sure I would have been arrested, or may be she did, but the district attorney, DA felt she had no case. Honestly, I do not know.

I am an international student getting a higher degree here in the US. I came here legally on an F-1 visa, which is only valid by the I-20 I have. I have not been home for a number of years, but I'm planning to go home soon. My fear and source of unhappiness is that I will have to apply for visa renewal to return to continue with my studies should I travel out of the US. The RO is to expire in a few weeks from now. Please, kindly give me answers to these questions:

1. I'm aware of background checks done on visa applicants, at least first time applicants, but I'm not sure if it is done on returning students. Prior to my coming to the US, I had this check done, and I was fingerprinted at the consulate where I had my visa interview. This court case did not request my fingerprint. Does this check include police/court checks?

2. If it does, what are the chances of this restraining order stopping me from getting my visa renewed, and thus not returning to complete my studies at least?

3. I plan to apply for my visa in Canada and not wait till I get home. Do you think this is a good idea? This is because back home, without the issue mentioned above, the delay may be longer than usual, and now with this issue, I am so scared.

Please, engage all your credible resources in advicing me appropriately. If there's one regret I have in life, it is nothing, but this one!

Thanks as you put your resources together to helping me.

Justhelp.

1. As far as I am aware the background check reveals only arrests and/or convictions so i would safely say you will not be affected by the restraining order.

2. whatever you would face in your home country would be the same you would face in Cnada except for the wait for an appointmnet.

Comment

Originally posted by curiousone
      1. As far as I am aware the background check reveals only arrests and/or convictions so i would safely say you will not be affected by the restraining order.

2. whatever you would face in your home country would be the same you would face in Cnada except for the wait for an appointmnet.
      Curiousone, thanks for your response. If you were to advice me, would you prefer I apply in Canada or back at home? I only want to visit home for a maximum of two weeks. I have not been there in five years!

Also, is it possible I get a multiple entry from Canada? or is it much better from home?

The other issue I have with home is that aside from family ties, I have more reasons to give to return to finish my studies than to return home after my studies. Personally, I do not have preferences at this point.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X