Change of VISA status from B1/B2 to Student Visa while staying in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of VISA status from B1/B2 to Student Visa while staying in USA

My son got selected for soccer team in USA. Accordingly as he has ten year multiple entry visa b1/b2 category valid till 2013, he has travelled to USA in August 2006. The team matches are every saturday & sunday..

I live in India. and my son is currently staying with my brother in USA.

With his help, admission to public school in grade 9 was also possible and now my son is attending school. Accordingly upon application, school district authorities has also issued I 20 valid for 48 months with financial support from my brother.

the question before us is:
    can the change of status of visa from b1/b2 to Student visa be applied for within USA? if so, where? & what is the guidence available in this regard.

Please guide..

Anil
    Last edited by ANILKS; 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM.

a small suggestion

You'd better ask your son return to India and apply for the F1 visa, it's really hard for him to change his status in USA.

Comment

Originally posted by ANILKS
      My son got selected for soccer team in USA. Accordingly as he has ten year multiple entry visa b1/b2 category valid till 2013, he has travelled to USA in August 2006. The team matches are every saturday & sunday..

With his help, admission to public school in grade 9 was also possible and now my son is attending school. Accordingly upon application, school district authorities has also issued I 20 valid for 48 months with financial support from my brother.

can the change of status of visa from b1/b2 to Student visa be applied for within USA? if so, where? & what is the guidence available in this regard.

Please guide..

Anil

Its ultimately your deciison but I personally prefer to remain in the uS and change the status there. You might get denied but at least it leave sthe B visa intact. if you go to the Embassy in India and he gets denied for the F 1 they will also cancel his visitors visa.
      Its form I-539 an dyou complete it, send it with two photos, check an dproof of ability to pay plus copy of his passport and visa. The drawback howeve ris that he cannot begin school until its approved and the approval could take months! Also, you have to be careful with the dates.

I just read your post again and your son is already attending school illegally, which is going to be an issue whether you change status here or in India.

Comment

Originally posted by ANILKS

Please guide..

Anil

Hello,

You need to get the F-1 visa in the home country. Please take the advice from a good Immigration Attorney.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X