Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f1 visa holding student needs help

Hello everyone.

I work at a local university here in the department that helps foreign students...

I talk with those who are having issues pertaining to staying here and studying.

I was wondering before delving further into immigration law about the status of an f1 visa holder...

The student's problem is this:

They currently hold an f1 visa to study here. they live with an american whom they consider their girlfriend, yet the relationship has gone sour and now the girlfriend is threatening to make the f1 student go back home if the student does not live with the american...

i dont think the american has any legal right to decide such an issue.

does anyone know the laws about an f1 student and where they live during their time here?

must they live with the certain person they had, I assume, noted on their visa application? is it possible for the student to switch to dorm living at the school or simply room with another student off campus?

if anyone has any info on this matter or knows where I can get any without having to go through calling immigration please let me know. i haave heard horror stories about people trying to get info out of immigration services and would like to avoud it as much as possible.

thanks!!

Originally posted by adcjones
    Hello everyone.

I work at a local university here in the department that helps foreign students...

I talk with those who are having issues pertaining to staying here and studying.

I was wondering before delving further into immigration law about the status of an f1 visa holder...

The student's problem is this:

They currently hold an f1 visa to study here. they live with an american whom they consider their girlfriend, yet the relationship has gone sour and now the girlfriend is threatening to make the f1 student go back home if the student does not live with the american...

i dont think the american has any legal right to decide such an issue.

does anyone know the laws about an f1 student and where they live during their time here?

must they live with the certain person they had, I assume, noted on their visa application? is it possible for the student to switch to dorm living at the school or simply room with another student off campus?

if anyone has any info on this matter or knows where I can get any without having to go through calling immigration please let me know. i haave heard horror stories about people trying to get info out of immigration services and would like to avoud it as much as possible.

thanks!!

The student is free to live with anyone and anywhere he/she chooses. The student's F vis is violated only if he/she works off campus or more than 20 hrs during school, without authorization or if he/she does not carry a full time load/ drops out of school. The american is blowing smoke and can do absolutely nothing to the students visa.

Comment

The girl cant do anything about his F1 visa. She is not immigration and doesnt have any power.
      The only grounds where a F1 student can get deported is ..if you work off-campus/work more than 20 hours.
      Note that a F1 student can work 20 hours/week on-campus only.
      Other than this the girl cant do anything..
      Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X