Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Stamping Question

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kavitha. I am a grad student under F1 visa studying at University of Cincinnati. I am a little confused about F1 visa stamping as i got some mixed inputs from some of my friends. Hence i decided to post my question at Immihelp.

I came to the USA in 2004 with my husband (who was and still is in a H1 visa) in a H4 dependent visa. I finished off my GRE (Score: 1390) and TOEFL (Score : 270) in the following years and applied for admission to pursue my masters in environmental engineering. Please note that i had a B.E. degree in Chemical Engg from the Madras University. I got admitted into University of Cincinnati in Fall 2006 with a tuition waiver and research assistanceship and have been studying here since that time. I have also transferred my visa status from H4 to F1 since. My last visit to India was in a year ago while i was under my H4 visa.

Now i am planning to go to India in August to see my parents and also get my F1 visa stamp. I asked a couple of my friends about F1 visa stamping and a few of them advised me not to go as there is always a chance that my visa could be rejected. A few of them told me since i have a good scores and an assistanceship, there will not be any problem with regard to visa stamping. I know that these are just opinions from my friends but i am a bit nervous as to the possibility of visa rejection on any grounds.My husband is working here and i would not want to risk being separated from him. Also I am already half way through my masters and have put in a lot of effort in my research and coursework. I also dont want to risk completing my degree.

Now these are my questions.
    If i go to India and lets say that i have all the correct documentation, Is there a possibility that there could be any problems with my F1 visa stamping?
    Does the fact that i switched from H4 to F1 pose any issues with regard to stamping?
    Also when i prepare my financial back ground, can i show my financial support from a US bank?
    I know that we have to prepare an auditors statement which lists all the assets and values. I myself dont have any solid assets in my name in India nor does my husband. Would this pose any serious issues?

I welcome your inputs as it would help me make a decision soon.

Thanks a ton,

Kavitha.

Hi Ms Kavitha,
    As far as getting an F1 stamped, you have a good score and you have the assistantship. Based on my experience, usually they will not pull down anyone who has a assistantship.Note that in worst case they do that, the university looses that money...thats the norm in universities and law too I guess. So they usually dont pull down students like that. As far financial documents are concerned, I cannot really say anything because for me it was a different case. It is good to have a bank-statement saying that you have XZY$ where XYZ = course-expenses.Even though you have a assistantship you should have this. Am not sure on the transfer of H4-F1 (You can always say I wanted to study and thats why I did the transfer and that you got an assistantship in a good uni), but I have seen people get F1's now easily with low scores and no assistantship.Just be confident and talk to the point. Look at the person's eye and talk and answer only when needed.do not give anything less or more. And only if he/she asks for your financialy documents then show,dont just take it up and show.
    .A lot of people say "oh its tough to get F1 visa ..many got rejected..this person got 1400/1600 and he didnt get visa". But none of these people either havent been there seeing the interview OR 100% they dont know what this hero/princess spoke to the visa-officer.I have seen people talk too much and mess up and thats what happens.
    All the best and I dont see a problem because of your assistantship.
    If God wants to bring you to the US no one can stop that.
    God Bless and all the very best.
    Jesus loves you
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X