Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F-1 Visa Holder: What is the US stance on one-way tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 Visa Holder: What is the US stance on one-way tickets?

Hey guys, I have just received my F-1 visa to study for an MBA in Ohio but am a little concerned about flights. In the past when I have visited the country (as a tourist and also as a student) I have been asked to provide proof I will return home, and this was always done by showing a return ticket.

The MBA degree is 15 months long, and all air tickets are only valid for 12 months. I would simply like to buy a one-way now and next year purchase another single back to England (as opposed to buying two returns as this works out cheaper).

So - do you think I will have any problems going through immigration controls with a single ticket, bearing in mind the duration of my course?

Thanks very much

Originally posted by JoeBGSU
    Hey guys, I have just received my F-1 visa to study for an MBA in Ohio but am a little concerned about flights. In the past when I have visited the country (as a tourist and also as a student) I have been asked to provide proof I will return home, and this was always done by showing a return ticket.

The MBA degree is 15 months long, and all air tickets are only valid for 12 months. I would simply like to buy a one-way now and next year purchase another single back to England (as opposed to buying two returns as this works out cheaper).

So - do you think I will have any problems going through immigration controls with a single ticket, bearing in mind the duration of my course?

Thanks very much
    What an interesting question

From the United web site

(look for "How far in advance can I make a reservation?" under "Booking Help")

"Reservations can be booked, held and ticketed up to 329 days in advance of your travel date."

Same for British Airways . . .

Guess you can call the airline, and ask the following Q:

"Can I book now a round-trip ticket, with the return being for (say, April 2008) and later change it to (say, November 2008)? Would I need to pay anything extra?"

Depending on the answer, book for a date inside the 329 days, and change the ticket later.

Or print the page from the United web site and show it to the immigration officer. They're usually suspicious - but also understanding

Comment

OK, it turns out that as long as you have ANY kind of visa you can travel on a one-way. You'll only run into problems if you're visiting the country on holiday (for example) with a single.

There is no way any airline will allow you to book a return and change the return date to over a year as all tickets expire after 12 months anyway.

Hope this comes in handy for anyone having the same dilemma!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X